VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay.... from reading different posts on different forums it has sounded like the only way to turn your DRL off on your VW is through VAG-COM. Well.... I'm here to tell you that is not the case. I ran across something the other night by accident, and had to try it out. Here you go.

With the car turned off, and you headlight switch in the "0" position, push down on your turn signal switch and pull it forward (kind of like flashing your high beams while trying to turn left). Hold that position while you turn the key to the on position (don't start the car). Keep everything in that position for about 3 seconds. Turn ignition off and release your turn signal lever. There you go. DRL's are off. To turn back on, do the same thing, but go up on the turn signal lever instead, still pulling for the high beams.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Very interesting! I'll have to try it. I'll probably keep my DRL on though because I park in a parking garage in my apartment complex and headlights are a must. Thanks for the tip though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I tried this in my 09 TDI. I wasn't able to get it to work as you described it. Anyone know if installing a 3 position switch would do the same thing in the second position? I mean, does it turn of the DRL's and just light up the parking lights in that position?

·
Registered
1 Posts
VW Golf 2-door manual 2010 here. I did the DRL turn off procedure

"With the key in the ignition, but fully OFF, signal left while simultaneously activating the hi-beams (pull lever fully back and to the left). Now turn the key on (without starting the car) and wait for a beep/tone. Your DRL's are now off. To turn them back on, do the same thing but move the turn signal indicator to the right-turn position."

It worked to turn the DRLs off, but the turn on procedure does not work. What gives?

TIA

·
Registered
4 Posts
This didn't work for me. I tried different variables too. Is this a hoax?

I really hate the DRL's is there a legitimate way to turn these of? Preferably with out paying someone.

·
Registered
409 Posts
i am not totally sure if it is the same on the newer models because I have a mk4, but i know on my model, you can take the headlight switch out and unplug the harness out of the back and bend one of the certain metal clips up and you will no longer have DRL's. Go google search it, i know there are quite a few DIY's on the internet about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i am not totally sure if it is the same on the newer models because I have a mk4, but i know on my model, you can take the headlight switch out and unplug the harness out of the back and bend one of the certain metal clips up and you will no longer have DRL's. Go google search it, i know there are quite a few DIY's on the internet about it.
I was kind of hoping against dismantling things. But I'll google it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
it's not really dismantaling. just pulling out your switch and bending a tiny clip. some people say you can tape it with electrical tape and it'll work the same, but sometimes the tape comes loose or breaks and then they come back on. Since it was something as small as the DRL's and I didn't think that i would ever want them again, I just went for it. I guess the worst that can happen is you end up buying a new switch for $40 or so.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Worked perfect for me, thanks for the info - almost a year later. I hate DRL's and had even bent the metal connector in my '05 a few years ago as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is sort of the same topic:
Anyone know how to change the automatic 3 blinks when shifting lanes to 4 or 5?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry if this is an old thread.

VW Golf 2-door manual 2010 here. I did the DRL turn off procedure

"With the key in the ignition, but fully OFF, signal left while simultaneously activating the hi-beams (pull lever fully back and to the left). Now turn the key on (without starting the car) and wait for a beep/tone. Your DRL's are now off. To turn them back on, do the same thing but move the turn signal indicator to the right-turn position."

It worked to turn the DRLs off, but the turn on procedure does not work. What gives?

TIA
It will depend on the year for this function to work.

To change DRL state:

DRLs OFF
1) Headlight switch to OFF,
2) Select Left indicator while
3) Simultaneously holding the stalk hard back towards you to flash the lights while
4) Simultaneously cycling IGN on for a couple seconds - until you hear the DING.

DRLs are now OFF.

DRLs ON
1) Headlight switch to OFF,
2) Select Right indicator while
3) Simultaneously holding the stalk hard back towards you to flash the lights while
4) Simultaneously cycling IGN on for a couple seconds - until you hear the DING.

DRLs are now ON

Both work on mine.

This doesn't work on 2011+ models you need VCDS.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts