VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend wants to drop her '01 Jetta VR6 that has no mods at all, even has stock rims(if rims) and everything. I was wondering if dropping the car would void the warranty?

Also was wondering if anyone could suggest a good amount to drop it, as well as what she would need? From what I am guessing, if she drops it more than 1.5" I think that she is going to need a new strut bar . . . I could be wrong on this, I am new and I am just trying to help out my friend. All tips and suggestions are appreciated and thank you in advance.

Synthogen

·
Registered
10 Posts
so many tuners say so many things. many have had success droping beyond 1.5 inches. i think anything from 2001.5 and beyond will be ok with up to a 2.4" (60mm) drop. i've talked to guys at Tuning Zubehor, Rapid Parts, and CIP. all say it's been done and for the most part ok. i personally would be kinda scared on a VR since they do have all that extra weight up front. just put it this way, you're taking a chance beyond 1.5" and 1.5" is safe for sure. as for voiding your warranty, it voids the suspension warranty and anything that is affected by the new lower ground clearance such as dinging your oil pan or breaking your sway and/or driveshaft. but if her windows fall down and you need new regulators, her new suspension can not be blamed and MUST be replaced under warranty by law. find a mod-friendly dealer first though if warranty is a concern.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 2001 Jetta 1.8t.
I have lowered my car by 2" front and back.
As long as you don't screw around with your ABS system you are fine.
So far i have done my intake, blow off valve, springs and exhaust. The dealership can't say shit all.
Don't worry about it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vwdrew:
I have a 2001 Jetta 1.8t.
I have lowered my car by 2" front and back.
As long as you don't screw around with your ABS system you are fine.
So far i have done my intake, blow off valve, springs and exhaust. The dealership can't say shit all.
Don't worry about it.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sure they can... and they have, at least here in the US. intake means your warranty for MAF if/when it fails is definitely questionable. exhaust should be ok. your drop, if the dealership says you messed up your ABS even if you didn't, the simple fact that you modified it sways the arguement over to them. i'm just speaking from my experience here in the US. maybe ya'll canadians have mod friendly dealers up there. down here, they're few and far between.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts