VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a muffler not an entire new exhaust system for my 03 gti because I can get a muffler for like 60 bucks. Would that be a good idea? I did this on my accord. I just got a DTM muffler and took the stock resonator off. Basically cat and muffler and it was loud. I found a really nice Dual muffler and im not sure if I should get it and if I should take off the stock resinator if I do decide to get. Any ideas would be nice. Thanks

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I would read through this post first:

Read ME Here

PS: For 60 bucks that is 1 cheap muffler and usually the performance, sound and satisfaction level is directly proportional to the investment you make. My $0.02.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
i completely agree. the sound is awful and it looks like you get what you pay for. i say save up and get a quality exhaust and dont waste your money. my opinion.
rich

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The muffler is of excellent quality beucase i have bought from this person before. Sound is very nice not cheap sounding and quality is great. Straight through design, t-304 stainless steel and includes a lifetime warranty. I just wanted to know if putting that on with no resinator would be a good idea? Thanks again

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dck:
The muffler is of excellent quality beucase i have bought from this person before. Sound is very nice not cheap sounding and quality is great. Straight through design, t-304 stainless steel and includes a lifetime warranty. I just wanted to know if putting that on with no resinator would be a good idea? Thanks again<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK then:

if you don't put it on...

(Drawback)

EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) Valve could fail because there is no back pressure. So it also could set off your Check Engine Light.

(Benefit)

If and if your Check Engine Light won't come on, then you car should actually run better since it has better airflow

However is it worth taking the risk to find out if your car's CEL will come on? Keep in mind once the EGR Valve is malfunctioning all the other vital componnents could start malfunctioning too.

So......... Does this answer your question?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
hot damn your good!!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
OK then:

if you don't put it on...

(Drawback)

EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) Valve could fail because there is no back pressure. So it also could set off your Check Engine Light.

(Benefit)

If and if your Check Engine Light won't come on, then you car should actually run better since it has better airflow

However is it worth taking the risk to find out if your car's CEL will come on? Keep in mind once the EGR Valve is malfunctioning all the other vital componnents could start malfunctioning too.

So......... Does this answer your question?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

so how come the EGR doesnt malfunction when you swap out the whole exhaust??

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by big dub:

so how come the EGR doesnt malfunction when you swap out the whole exhaust??
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For the simple reason that the whole exhaust has a resonator... perhaps?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by big dub:
whats so special about a resonator that would cause the EGR not to malfunction
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It creates back pressure.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
It creates back pressure.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i dont know much about this stuff soooo.... what is it about the resonator that creates back presure... i thought it was just a straight through pipe?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
i dont know much about this stuff soooo.... what is it about the resonator that creates back presure... i thought it was just a straight through pipe?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1) Are you making fun, Bart? If so I cought on... if not read (2)

2) Look under your Golf right after the engine there is your catalytic converter... the next big thing is your Resonator.

3) Does it look like a straight through pipe?

4) My last post of this thread.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
not making fun... just trying to learn something

i think it is.... it was in my civic... will look tomorrow

my question is (if it is straight) how does a straight pipe create back presure.... dont answer this question if the pipe is not straight is not

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Bart I hope we are talking about the same thing.

The Resonator (the part in between your catalytic converter and your muffler.

Not a tip with a resonator after your muffler.

Some performance mufflers have resonators built right in them.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
yep same part.. how does it create back presure? what is back presure? i know that a straight through exhaust decreases back presure

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
ok, well incase you didnt know.... which im sure you did because you know everything here it is:

The resonator contains a specific volume of air and has a specific length that is calculated to produce a wave that cancels out a certain frequency of sound. How does this happen? When a wave hits the hole, part of it continues into the chamber and part of it is reflected. The wave travels through the chamber, hits the back wall of the muffler and bounces back out of the hole. The length of this chamber is calculated so that this wave leaves the resonator chamber just after the next wave reflects off the outside of the chamber. Ideally, the high-pressure part of the wave that came from the chamber will line up with the low-pressure part of the wave that was reflected off the outside of the chamber wall, and the two waves will cancel each other out.

One important characteristic of mufflers is how much backpressure they produce. Because of all of the turns and holes the exhaust has to go through, mufflers like those in the previous section produce a fairly high backpressure. This subtracts a little from the power of the engine.

There are other types of mufflers that can reduce backpressure. One type, sometimes called a glass pack or a cherry bomb, uses only absorption to reduce the sound. On a muffler like this, the exhaust goes straight through a pipe that is perforated with holes. These mufflers produce much less restriction, but don't reduce the sound level as much as conventional mufflers.

yeah an thats all i got

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Thanks for the info, Bart.

Now that you did that, you should see how the inside of Catalytic Converter looks like. I had the privillege to see one inside the other day (my own since I have a new hi-flo one). I was surprised to see jus a very compacted Plaster with little tiny holes all the way from one side to the other. Now... what's cool about that, if you look through the holes into the light the light will appear miles away. Useless info? Perhaps. Still informative I hope.

PS: No... I don't know everything. Sorry you got a vibe like that from me. I just like to share and correct if necessary. Besides if I knew everything I would be the president of United States and play with some interns.

[ May 22, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Besides if I knew everything I would be the president of United States and play with some interns.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
hahaha, yeah thomas!!!
very informative bart and thomas. thanks.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
so whats the difference (any physical) between the stock and a hi-flo one... if you got a chance to look at both

and this is getting to be a very informative topic

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
so whats the difference (any physical) between the stock and a hi-flo one... if you got a chance to look at both

and this is getting to be a very informative topic
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can't be serious. What makes you think I would cut my new one in pieces also? LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts