VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the differance between a dump valve and a blow off valve? i really want that cool whoosh sound but a few of you have said its not a good idea. why can i put a dump valve on the car but not a bypass valve? also whats the reason i cant put, or shouldnt put a bypass valve on the car? what is it that the bypass valve does that is bad for my motor? if im to get a dump valve, will i get the whoosh and who should i get it from, and whats the cost? alot of questions i know, but its my first turbo car so i am lost on all this stuff. thanx

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The 1.8T engine is designed to use a diverter valve which recirculates excess boost so that the ecu can see what is going on.

A blow-off valve will vent excess boost into the atmosphere and not give any heads up to the car.

There are some recirculation kits for HKS and Greddy valves, as well as the GFB Hybrid valve if you wish to go the blow-off route.

With a cold air intake and a diverter valve, you will hear a whoosh when shifting but it won't be exactly like a blow-off sound.

Check the search for more on this.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
ill give you my two cents
BOV- HKS ssqv w/ re-circ kit
Diverter- Bailey's, Forge
Dump valve- Forge makes some i believe
--dave--

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Oops, I assumed he thought a dump valve was a BOV.

A dump valve is a solenoid activated panel that opens up your exhaust wherever you place the valve. You can use this to "dump" the exhaust before the catalytic convertor which should show about a 10-15hp gain.

A diverter valve recirculates excess boost which is not used by the engine.

A Blow-off valve blows off the excess boost into the atmosphere.

You can get a recirulating kit for a BOV to make it act like a diverter valve.

Hybrid valves such as GFB act as both a diverter valve and a blow-off valve.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
IMO it doesnt make any sense to buy a BOV with a recirc kit because it'll just be a DV and would not WOOOSH like a bov should...kinda a waste of money and takes away from the whole point of having a BOV.

just get a DV and a CAI

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dubsessed:
sorry to steal the spotlight, but does a hybrid have the same kinda effect as the bov? you know not being good for the engine? or is the fact that it has dv qualities and diverts some air back make it ok?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is a good description of the gfb valve.

[ March 08, 2004: Message edited by: Gti20thAEinDE ]

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
By "dump valve" do you mean an exhaust dump valve like Big Dong has? His setup allows him to just dump the exhaust out right after the turbo for when he goes to the track.

If that isn't what you are asking, somebody please enlighten me to what is being asked...

hope this helps

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Oh, and I think bypass valve is just another term for a diverter valve. I think they use that term with Subys a lot I believe, but it is basically the same thing...

[ March 08, 2004: Message edited by: 109 LUVR ]

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dubsessed:
Originally posted by Gti20thAEinDE:
[QB]Here is a good description of the gfb valve.

sweet, thanks for the info, but do all hybrids do the same thing or do some def work better?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't speak from experience, but Raf seems to be happy with his, although I don't understand why he needs one for a 2.slow...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Originally posted by Gti20thAEinDE:
[QB]Here is a good description of the gfb valve.

sweet, thanks for the info, but do all hybrids do the same thing or do some def work better?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have too much experience with hybrid valves but I belive some are tunable like the better BOVs. You should be able to find some where you can adjust the amount of air vented back into the atomsphere vs. air kept in your system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts