VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever tried to dye their headliner? Results? Mine is kind of dirty and won't come clean, was thinking of trying to dye it black. Thanks, Ja

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Whatever you do don't take it to get shampoo-ed. It will appear clean but there is one minor satback. The glue above it that is holding it in place will suffer a DEADLY BLOW.

I will give you a hint, in about 1 years time your headliner will act as a HELMET as your drive.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I'd say your best bet would just be to get a new headliner. They can't be that expensive...then again we are talking about VW so who knows

·
Registered
75 Posts
you should go to a fabric store, they have headliners in every syle, color, fabric, even leather and fake leather, or alcantara...depending on the material you could get a few yards for as little as $1.75 a yard to $10-20 for nicer stuff and you only need a few yards...if you decide to dye it rip it out...well, carefully rip it out...and dye it then glue it back up again...dont dye it while its in the car, it will sag.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll probably try to dye it first, if that does'nt work then I'll have to review my options. Could be some time till I get to it now though as it was snowing here today and is cold as hell. Ja

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Since you're gonna have to take the headliner down to dye it anyways...it's probably a good idea to get a new one. A bonus to that is that it will last longer and they are not that expensive.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Oh yeah. Check out:
"3M Super Trim Adhesive," (part number 08091).

"A contact adhesive designed for bonding vinyl tops, heavyweight headliners and hood silencer pads where high strength and heat resistance are needed. For lightweight headliners or other lightweight materials including adequately supported flexible vinyls, foams, insulation, and fabrics use 3M General Trim Adhesive (Part No. 08080)."

It works really well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts