VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. I have the early 1.8t in my car. Awd engine code. I have converted to a wideband ecu to run Eurodyne for my build. As many of you know I'm in the process of building a 1.8t.
I have a donor block from a late beetle, but before I get it assembled I want to make sure everything will be compatible sensor wise. Does anyone know exactly what the differences are between the blocks? My main concern is the crank trigger wheel. I'm assuming knock sensors will be the same, what else am I going to have to do to make sure it is going to run right when I put this in?

I have the top end figured out, I'm going to run an aeb head and I already have the resistor installed for vvt because it's a non vvt motor with the wideband ecu which is vvt and the sai delete because the AEB doesn't have the hole for it. It's just the bottom end that has me concerned, which is why I'm holding back on getting the block assembled. Any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Not much sensors on the block from what I can remember.

As long as the crank trigger has the same amount of teeth it should be fine. Or you're worried about the sensor for it? That would be the easy part, splice a new sensor.
Wish I was more of an expert to help with the variants of crank triggers.
What all are you doing to the bottom end. 2.0 or 2.1?
Might have to call a pro at like usp motorsports or integrated engineering if so. A company that is used to seeing a lot of bigger motor oriented builds.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shameless is the brave soul to attempt to take a stab at this. props to you, i watched all the views go up with no replies lol.

usp is a 20 min drive. im friends with mike at the front desk there, just like to try and hit the forums before i call a shop. i may have to shoot IE another email. theyve been awesome with whatever questions i have had. they give you a true answer, not a try to sell you such and such part answer. i know there are two different crank trigger wheels. im assuming that mine is the old style because it is the AWD 1.8t.

i posted a pic on here to verify i had the new style in the beetle block. my concern is mainly the trigger wheel, and any other differences between the two that i dont know about. im trying to figure out if the sensor is the same, or if it is just a matter of changing the sensor to the right one for the wheel. i would rather change the trigger wheel than cut and splice a new plug for the different sensor because the crank has to come out and be balanced anyway assuming the trigger wheel is bolted on

im going to try and post a write up about this after its finished.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i did some more reading, and the trigger wheel is bolted on from what i can tell, so it should be as easy as ordering the one my engine calls for and having it put on the crank at the machine shop when they assemble it

·
Registered
981 Posts
Im pretty sure the "old" 1.8t block is the 058. "A**" is just the code for the head and can be used on any 1.8t block so its not to say for sure what block is under what head.

as far as I know the "early" 1.8t block is the 058 which originally came with the largeport heads in the 1st 1.8ts. 058 blocks are different for sure.

Take a peek around the block and there should be a 3-digit # cast into it. that will tell you what you have and what you need! ;-)

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
Nope. There ARE differences in the trigger wheel. But I believe the differences are not the amount of teeth(from what I've read) but the way the teeth are, which wouldn't effect the sensor at all since it acts on the same magnetic counter. Same teeth same count on the sensor per rotation, everything is butter.

roger made a good call, go by the number stamped on the block.

I have a feeling if this were such a big issue, anyone replacing their 1.8t block would be looking for specific block codes. Which does not seem to be the case.
Never hurts to call the big guys at the shops and find out or a VW dealer parts guy and ask for the trigger wheel for that block. Count the teeth, count yours, figure if you need to buy it.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the block i have is 06a. its the equivalent of an awp but for a beetle so the code is different. as long as the trigger wheels have the same amount of teeth then it shouldnt matter if im understanding this right.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
as long as the trigger wheels have the same amount of teeth then it shouldnt matter if im understanding this right.

Precisely. The sensors work just the same as any rotation counter sensor. Like the wheel speed sensor. The idea is that the wheel has teeth on it, which pull on a magnet inside the sensor as it runs past it. Each tooth is one tick, that's all the information it ever reads. A tick is a tick.
Same number per rotation, same number relayed to the ecu, butter.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That clarifies it, i didnt want to put in all the work and figure out it wasnt going to work

1 - 10 of 10 Posts