VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all
im lookin on ebay for stuff and i run across these things which ive seen plenty of before, i wonder how can they be so cheap and be any good at all. just wondering if anyone can explain these things to me, im guessing you need different shocks and struts, probably different mounts on the top, ........basically if something so cheap in price could ever be worth it. it WOULD be nice to be able to adjust the height of my ride 4 whole inches up or down, so.....any feedback would be appreciated.
thanx all

almost forgot...heres the link
EBAY COILOVER KIT SET THING

[ January 03, 2004: Message edited by: matterof8th ]

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
The reason it's so cheap is because it's not a true coilover. It's just a sleeve that goes over factory struts. I don't really see anything wrong with them. But go and buy decent shocks and struts or you'll blow yours while lowered. Which would make it really bouncy. But if you get decent struts that set up should work alright. But since i've never had them it might be junk when you get them. But you get what you pay for. You shouldn't need to change the strut mounts(unless they're shot) It would just replace the factory springs.
sorry for the long post

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well I will be installing a cheep eBay coilover set like that one on a 1st gen DSM car some time early this week. I may even get to it today but it’s not a priority job so who knows. Anyway I can let you know how it goes and what the road test was like if you want.

My concern with a coilover design like that is that there is no second keeper spring. (Sorry I can’t remember the proper term for the second spring.) So what may and probably will happen at some point is that the spring will pop out of place. Weapon R makes a dual coilover spring kit and I am sure others do as well but they cost an extra $100 or more. Worth the extra money IMO but I guess it really depends how much you drive and how you drive your car.

The other concern I have with them is the same I have with any cheep spring set. They tend to wear out rather quick. Meaning they go limp or compress easier however you want to look at it. Though at that price you should be able to afford to replace them as needed.

Oh and as mentioned above you should replace your struts while you’re at it. I am quite new to VW and have read loads of post about how lowering springs will blow your struts and how you should buy a kit with struts and springs that are matched or whatever. However I have worked on many other cars and never experienced any problem using well priced struts like KYB with any sort of lowering springs.

[ January 05, 2004: Message edited by: TGA ]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts