VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 jetta III celeb edition. It's an automatic with a 2.0. I just recently bought it and got a good deal cause it wasn't running. I figured i needed an ECM. Piece of cake right? WRONG! I took it to a shop that had the euro hookups to run a diagnostic. The Shop said that all the Wires that should have power do and the grounds are good. They tested all the wiring in the harness to see if there was any shorts and didn't find any. So everyhting goin into the ECM is good but there is nothing coming out. So they said that is was a bad ECM. The engine has fuel and compression but no spark. The previous owner let the battery run dead when the alarm went off cause he couldn't get it 2 shut off. This activated the anti theft system but that has been diabled with the key in the door. I called the dealership and told them my specs and they tell me what i need but they give me the Bosch numbers "037 906 259D". everywhere online that I go only gives me two options to choose from. Either 258AA or 258AS. When I explain that to the dealership they have no clue and say that they don"t know what 1 I need So I'm stuck unless I wanna pay a grand for 1 from them. Help me to know the difference between 258AA and 258AS and which one I need. Or is it another problem all together. Thank You!!!

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
How much are they wanting to change you for these ECUs? I can get used ones where I live for 14 bucks. At that price I could pick up both types for you. lol (for a small gas and trouble donation)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They wanted almost a grand at the dealership for one already programed. But I found one at a junk for 70. but that needs to be programmed to my car. but I don't even know which 1 I need. so Even if I did have both I wouldn't be able 2 do anything with em. It'll cost me between 30 and 80 to program each.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Programing them? They are giving you a run around. If you buy/find the same ECU that was in your car, its plug and play.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having a similar issue and thought it was the ignition control unit. I went an got one from advanced an when I took a look at the one in the car I found that one of the wires was fried inside the ICU plug input. I then inspected the plug itself an found the plug housing was melted near the wire connection that fried. Does this indicate a bad ECM?? Does this mean I have the same issue he does for even after I installed the new ICU it would not give spark. I am going to replace the plug an wires so it will get good connection but don't know if this will solve my issue. I have a 97 Jetta GLS w a 2.0l. How do I test the plug to make sure it is getting what it needs to run the car?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a VERY similar issue, and turns out that it was just a relay for the Ecu, it's a big black one that says 109 on it, for my 94 golf, it's part # is '357 906 381 a', You should be able to find one on ebay for under 20, Be sure to that it's not that first!
I took mine to a shop, and they said the same thing!
Hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would think that the relays r good cause the shop said they went through all the wiring and everything else it could possibly be before they determined it was the ecm. but 4 20 bucks guess it don't hurt to try. But would that be the same part number that i need. I'll research it. damn thing is they didn't start incorperating engine specs in those till 2002. so i cant ask anyone that has everything they shold need right in front of them. theres goota be some way to find out if its a 258aa or 258as. That also has an imobilization unit on it doesn't it. could that tell me anything. let me know before i go tearin my car apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts