VW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone could give me an informed opinion (preferably from personal experience) on the timing belt kits from ECS Tuning? I'm specifically looking at this one:

Volkswagen Jetta IV 1.8T Engine Timing - 06B198479 V2 - Timing Belt Kit - Ultimate - ES#2286

I will also be changing the cam chain tensioner soon but this will take priority since I don't know when the timing belt was last changed and the car is at 128k miles. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
The only thing ECS kits don't do is open your beer for you. You will be happily impressed with what they gave you to complete the job.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I used an ecs timing built kit and had the tensioner go out in 2 months. They made me pay for the replacement until i returned the old one..which I never did because of the hastle. Everything else seems pretty good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Outstanding. I'll be ordering that tomorrow then. I initially ordered one from MJM Autohaus but 30 days and a charge back later now I need to get one from somewhere else.

·
4,054 Posts
Yeah MJM has taken a turn for the worst so I stay away from them. It's either GAP, ECS, Urotuning, and a few others.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
The kit comes with cam seals and not everyone replaces them. That's what I had left over.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'd personally get the Ultimate Plus, as it comes with coolant as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd personally get the Ultimate Plus, as it comes with coolant as well.
That's a good point. Just ordered it today, once I have that replaced I'll be getting the cam chain tensioner. That rattling sound is getting really annoying. Wish me luck gents, if this car breaks down I'll never hear the end of it from my wife.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was a pain in the ass to do. Getting the motor mount out of the way takes some jigsaw puzzle skills.
I've dealt with things like that before. Changing the fuel injector pump on a HMMWV is a thing that makes you lose your faith in a benevolent god.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
After a closer inspection of the item listing I'm not seeing compatibility with the AWD engine code. Can anyone suggest a good source for this part that won't break the bank (2000 Jetta 1.8T)?

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
hmm.. give ecs a call.. tell them what you are after..
the sales guys will surprise you. they know more techincal info then just what the website is.
i forget the one guys name.. but he has a heavily modded 20th, bagged, big turboed.. (its on the website in a lot of the photos for like side markers and such)..

but.. they should be able to square you up with the right chain tensioner.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts