VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get my ECU number in order to order the right chip. I have my cowl (plastic part where the windshield and hood meet-where the windshield wipers are) off right now. I just need to know how to take the ecu out. Anyone that can help me fast would be great! the faster the better. thanks

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
With the hood closed:
- Flip wiper arms up
- Pry cowl (black plastic) across the base of the windshield
- Flip wiper arms down
- Close hood
With the hood open
- Remove weather strip running across the engine bay
- Lift cowl
- Jam a piece of 4x4 (or a water bottle) under the cowl so you have some working space.
- Between both wiper arms you will see the ECU wiring harnesses
- Pull the latches on the harnesses towards the outside
- Disconnect harness where the ECU sits. There is a metal tab to the left, preventing the ECU to be pulled, bend that tab so it gets out of the way.
- Pull the ECU like a mofo! (If you look closely at the ECU you will see two metal posts at each side, I grab a shoestring, and I make a loop at each end of the string. Lazo the posts, then pull the ECU out with the shoestring)

Assemble in reverse order.

Good luck!

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
345 Posts
RafCarre12 said:
Don't not if this is possible or not but, would you be able to pull your ECU # via a VagCom scan?
No don't think you can pull your ecu number with the vagcom scan

·
Registered
471 Posts
ecu part#...

.....or you could PM me with your VIN. I can find most ECU part#s by VIN.

Oh, I probably should mention that you must PM me before 5pm EST while I'm at work. I use the ETKA VIN decoder to track down the part#.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: ecu part#...

brenshlus said:
.....or you could PM me with your VIN. I can find most ECU part#s by VIN.

Oh, I probably should mention that you must PM me before 5pm EST while I'm at work. I use the ETKA VIN decoder to track down the part#.
Thank you all for your help. I actually got it out just fine last night. I used pliers to pull the ecu...worked like a charm. Yes you can use a vag-com to get ecu numbers. My chip will be shipped very soon!!! I am very excited. THANKS AGAIN!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts