VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive heard that by unpluging the ECU you can FUBAR your car..... is it not this way on VW? also, if i could find a wrecked jetta in a junkyard and get its ECU, would it be possible to send IT off and have it chipped, then plug it in my car? one last question.... i have a 1999.5, it is the exact same car as the "why too kay" as far as i can see.. so if i did find a 2000 ecu would it work in a 99.5? the reasoning behind this is if i do have to go to the dealer i could have the complete factory ECU.... thanks yall!

-marc

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
As long as it's the same engine code same, 5 speed or auto as your car. i think it should be all right. I would call up a chip manufacture just to make sure.
jon

·
Registered
20 Posts
Some car companies' components are electronically 'matched' so they cannot be simply changed. I cannot really say about VW though. I can say that Saab uses Bosch Motronic/Trionic engine management (VW uses Motronic), and they are matched. It might be tough to get a real answer from a dealer on this one, I would take Bora's advice and call the chip maker. As for the 2000 ECU, they all use the same version number of Motronic, so likely yes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It would have to be the same ecu code first and tehn u would still need to get around the immobilizer if ur car has, its not hard though just find a buddy with vag com

1 - 4 of 4 Posts