VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah I would think it would be the window regulator as well. happened to a lot of us on the forum. best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi.

This is an Audi A3 issue but since its nearly identical I'm hoping someone can help. Just want to know how to take the driver door panel off.

Why ?

I opened my drivers door window last week and the window wouldnt come back up on its own. It seems to be getting stuck. You can hear the motor try to push it up. It doesnt get stuck ant any particular point. I'm guessing something may be stuck ?

The window has a saftey mechanism that causes the window to drop if something gets in its way so because it seems to stick, it goes back down. I have to use two hands, one hand on outside and one on inside and have someone else engage the close button. With a bit of force it goes up.
I was planning to look at it myself but I cant figure out how to get the door panel off.

Its an Audi A3 1999 2 door.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Sounds like a window regulator problem to me, bro.

Motor is working so the only thing left is the regulator.

To take the door panel off you start with your arm rest.

Here is a Jetta procedure.

CLICK ME

[ November 17, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks guys. I might try and give it ago. I think I'd be ok with getting the panel off, just not sure If I could get it back on again.

Also whats is the window regulator and does anyone know what I should expect to pay to get this fixed at a dealer garage.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blaze:
Thanks guys. I might try and give it ago. I think I'd be ok with getting the panel off, just not sure If I could get it back on again.

Also whats is the window regulator and does anyone know what I should expect to pay to get this fixed at a dealer garage.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not sure about with Audi, but they were recalled for VW's. There is a plastic clip that holds the window regulator in place, and it has a tendency to break, so they replaced them all with metal ones. Call the dealership and see if they were recalled for A3's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
As far as removing the panel goes its pretty easy, so is getting it back on. Just keep track of where all the wires plug in and also the plastic push tabs that slide onto your panel. You want to make sure none of them fell into your door during removal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
just happened to me, there was a letter sent out by vw, extending the warranty on the windows 7 years from date of purchase. they repair both driver and passenger sides w/o cost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts