VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, im trying to install my radar detector i got. But i dun seem to know where i can find a 12vdc and some grounding together. I was thinking of the lights up by the sunroof might give off some power. Don't know where.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I am not sure... but don't you have a second 12v outlet in your trunk?

If you want to hard wire it, you can buy a kit.

Just GOOGLE for it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, i want to hardwire it, and it comes with the kit. But where in the car can hardwire it?

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
ok Its pretty easy actually to hardwire it. Here is a link that might help:
LINK

Here is what I did:
1. cut off the 12v plug, strip the wires, separate them.
2. ran the wire under wherethe headliner and windsheild meet (there is a lip where it will keep the cord hidden). run the wire down your a-pillar(same as the headliner-it will keep it hidden). take off the side part of your dash, and run the cord down right to the fuse box. there is are a few screws that you can use for the ground near the fuse box. then use an add-a-fuse thing, and wire nut the hot wire to the add-a-fuse wire. I had some help from my uncle, who is a electrician. but it is a very easy job for anyone. I can take some pics if you want. Let me know. Eventually, I will get to making some how-tos, and have them available-I just need some free time. hope this helps

and yes Thomas, we do have another 12v power plug in the trunk, but I think it would be easier to do it the way I did it-plus you would have to get another wire for it to reach all the way to the front of the car, and it wouldnt turn off when the car is off either.

[ January 16, 2004: Message edited by: silverGTI ]

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can u please take some pics?
thank you

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I have a better way...

If you remove the shelf underneath your instrument cluster (by your pedals), there are terminals underneath the relay panel. If you look carefully, one of them will say 75/X. This terminal provides 12V power with the ignition on, car not cranking only. Its great to run the power to gauges, radar detectors, Amplifier triggers...stuff you want running with the ignition on only. It has worked great, I think I may have even adivsed Raf to wire to it when he was doing something to his car.

I have my air horn trigger power, gauge power, and my amplifier trigger (before it got stolen) hooked up to that terminal.

Then all you do is find a good body ground (the dash supports are a good choice) and you're good to go. Its also real easy to hide the wires afterwards, as they won't be poking into your fuse panel.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
n/m i got it to work. thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
used the wires from the headlight switch
..works good..for my V-1

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The fuse box is the best way to go. That's where I wired my valentine one to. There are plenty of ground screws around the car, make sure the metal is not painted, and connects to a substantial part of the car. You can also use the same gorund as your radio as a radar detector doesn't draw much current.

If you have a sunroof, you can open up the assembly up there and use the black and white wire for power as it is a switched wire. I'd recommend using the fusebox however.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts