VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love VW's really do, and grow a "healthy" hate when they have electrical problems like my 99 VW cabrio has 4 months ago and I have not being able to figure out what is causing the problem.

Symptoms:
1.-When brake pedal is pressed, the brake lights do not light as supposed to(they light really dim), instead the turn signals (yellow) light up.

2.-Turn signals on the front work just fine visibly (both blink though), but the back ones work oppossite. When i turn on left, the right one starts blinking instead and shining more than the one i meant to turn on.Yet they still both blink.

3.-When I press the brake pedal if any of the turn signals are on, they completely stop working (due to symptom 1?). I can even see both turn signals light up on my dash.

4.- There is a clicking noise under the manual brake in between the sits that you can hear when you turn on or off the headlights from the switch. This I think is normal operation, but not sure.

5.-The speedometer and tachometer work sometimes, and others they do not even move. When they do not move, i can see the tachometer needle shake a little bit until i turn off the switch. Rest of the dash panel works fine.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
I think your rear bulb trays may have shorted out and causing the issues. Try replacing the trays. Wash your car and see if any water seeps in to the taillights. Look for melted plastic on the rear trays and also check the wiring leading up to the bulb tray.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kk, gonna check that now. will report findings. tachometer and speedometer ideas?

Any extra advise is appreciated from anyone.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
You should check the connection on the back of the cluster, they could have been jiggled loose or something. If not the gauge could have gone bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i did find rust on the passenger side, the wire that grounds the bulb tray to the chassis had shorted out somehow. The pin on the actual bulb tray was pretty much no existent from the short. I replaced the bulb tray and that fixed the problem. Thank you much :)

I will report on findings with the speedometer and tachometer

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
sweet glad i could help. But you should find your water leak as well so it doesnt happen again, the taillight seals get old and crusty overtime and let water in. I had to reseal mine with silicon a couple weeks ago, i was getting puddles of water in my spare tire well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The instrument clusters also have the same bad solder joints that you find in the cruise control modules.
Inspect the solder joints with a magnifying glass and re-solder them before you condemn the cluster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts