VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GF's jetta got some nasty problem, it will not start. The battery is at full charge, and it WAS running just fine. When you put the key in and turn it half way things seem fine, but when you turn it to the on position, and start position it clicks a lot, and you can see the gauges just up and down it appears to be shorting out somewhere, I didn't actually chack any fuses, but I will assume the must be fine because it is getting power, for a second or two. The clicking seems to be comming a lot from the area or the throttle bodie (I think it's the throttle body), but thats not to say thats the problem. I cleaned the electrical connections with safe cleaner, and that didn't make a difference, as of now it's still dead in the driveway, If you got an Idea I'd welcome it. Maybe the voltage regulator went??? Would it cause a problem like this? any help would be apperciated!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
it could be that, or the starter. if you are getting electricity, can turn on the radio, roll down windows, etc. then it is the starter. also have the alternator checked. if you pull them out, you can take them to auto zone and have them checked out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanks for the reply's, gf is knows basically nothing about her own car <sigh>, (well she's owned it for a little like 4 years... engine size whats that???) and it turns out I will start now but needs to be jumped once it's stopped again, of course she neglects to tell me this, and she claimed that the battery was just charged before I tried to start it, yeah right... it wasn't! She's a punk @ss. Anyways had I know this b4, I would've said hey duh thats pretty much a classic alternator story so now I just need to convince her that the guys at the local auto part store are not going to do any funky Voodoo to her car, and checking the alternator's voltage is a prefectly normal and safe thing to do.
OK so now anyone know a way to reset the stereo so it works???

·
Registered
175 Posts
The cars paper work should have a code for the radio, if not you have to get one from a dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmm, she bought the car used so I'm not sure what paper work she does have I'll have to check. Today she got the car checked out and it looks like there is something wrong with the alarm system... Does anyone happen to know how you can disable the alarm, can you disable the alarm???

·
Registered
175 Posts
My battery had a bad cell and the first sign was the car alarm wiggin out then the car just quit starting. just got a new battery and the ecu codes cleared out it worked fine, no more problems for me!

·
Registered
3 Posts
well my alram is wicked check the bottom of your steering wheel ..right above your gas pedal and brake...take off the th panel and try to look for a valet switch ...its a press button ..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whoa hey sorry about the long time no update thing, life's been pretty busy lately... As it turns out It was the alarm, it seems to have gone bad or something, anyways it was removed then the starter I believe was jumpered to it will start and run just fine, no further problems, I still won't chance taking the darn car through a car wash, it has a tendency to die in those... Haven't attempted to run it through a car wash since after the problem, But 'm not taking any chances. If I can only get her to get a new battery too now. Once again thanks big time guys for your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts