VW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a 2003 GLS 1.8t and I'm wondering is ESP worth having? Would it later become any sort of problem lets say when I decide to tamper with suspension mods? Or, would it be in my favor to have it for better "stabilization"? Or is just added weight that doesn't do a whole lot? Any input would great. I am new to the VW sceene and still curious.

[ April 02, 2003: Message edited by: dubnewbie ]

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
It's worth having. I think with the ESP, if you turn the ASR button off, it will also disable the ESP. Actualy, i think my dads TT had the ESP button instead of ASR. So either way it should turn off both i think.
jon

·
Registered
223 Posts
hehe That didnt make any sense well anyway I have the 03 GTI with the ESP package anyway this is what ESP is all about: traction control, if you are in a high speed your abs braking system works more safely so that you dont end up duing a 360 also esp controls your suspention system if you are going at high speed and your tires start slipping to the left or right your gas padel aka gas trurns off whats another way of saying it cant give no more gas but on the other hand if u turn off ur ESP u are able to do everything burn outs hit high speed on curves but its not safe enough so basically ESP is about being safe in ur GTI

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SilverstoneGTI:
hehe That didnt make any sense well anyway I have the 03 GTI with the ESP package anyway this is what ESP is all about: traction control, if you are in a high speed your abs braking system works more safely so that you dont end up duing a 360 also esp controls your suspention system if you are going at high speed and your tires start slipping to the left or right your gas padel aka gas trurns off whats another way of saying it cant give no more gas but on the other hand if u turn off ur ESP u are able to do everything burn outs hit high speed on curves but its not safe enough so basically ESP is about being safe in ur GTI<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As safe as it is... it gives you only a second to try and stabilize the car.

It will not change the "laws of Physics" however so drive safe.

·
Registered
167 Posts
i have ESP on my 02' GTI and basically what it is traction control and anti skid protection. When i was driving in the snow the traction control would try to keep the wheel spin down bascially like all other traction control systems. the antiskid proctection prevents the car from spinning out of control. I tested it in the snow by inducing a spin and it would brake each wheel independently attempting to prevent the car from spinning out. it seemed to work well at low speeds but at higher speeds i'm not as sure. i have been on the highways several times with lots of snow on the road doing 40 mph and the esp would kick on because the car was start to drift laterally...it was a very weird feeling and i'm not sure if that was helping or hurting.

If i hit the ESP button it turns off the traction control and skid protection and I can spin the car all over the place.

Regarding mods to the suspension, i don't think you won't have any problems but i don't have any solid information.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
yeah I think that ASR is a good thing. while going slow in the winter time, if I slipped a little the asr would kick in, and I would keep on going without slidding around everywhere. And if you want to turn it off, and just gun it (with no hesitation that you might get with the asr), you can do that too

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
how can you turn off the ESP? I have a button on the dast that has ESP on it but when I push that, the traction control light turns on... does that mean the ESP is off?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1_8tits:
At what point/situation do you want to turn off the ESP?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

autocross or burnouts really. for great launches though, i would think you would want it on cuz it will give max throw instead of burning out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
man this is great!!!!!!!!
so much feed back in within a 24 hour period..
you guys rock!!!!

So ESP works in conjuction with ASR, ESP can be turned off but doing so will also turn off ASR? Do I have this right?
Why would you not want ESP/ASR to initiate when you start your dub?
Is ESP worth dishing out the extra $280.00?
I live in Texas and we maybe have ice (not snow) about 2-3 weeks out of the year so I see it being benificial to me 2-3 weeks out of the year or does it come in handy to have for lets say everyday use?

Again, thanks to everyone for your input>>

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well it would also help out when the roads are wet when it's raining. I think it's worth the extra $280.
jon

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Dubnewbie, mine has come on exactly three times since december 2000, and two of those were in 6-8" of snow in Amarillo. The other one was a hydroplane situation because I was driving like Batman through a low lying area. Other than that, it just bogs the engine on launch if you don't turn it off. I have not used it enough to warrant spending additional money on it.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
well, while fli is from texas, and I am from pa...I think it is worth it. It saves your tires, just incase you accidentally pop your clutch, you dont fly off your handlebars, and like jon said, it helps in the rain, especially if you are going around a curve, it slows your wheels down, doesnt let you slide around.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts