VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys quick question. Lately when I get in my car and drive about a lock a message flashes the says emissions workshop, just curious if you have any idea of what would cause that, cold weather maybe?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Didnt know there was such a light
Any recent work to the car?

[ December 09, 2003: Message edited by: 98a4 ]

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
Didnt know there was suck a light
Any recent work to the car?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's on the little computer in the guage cluster, there isn't a light specifically for that. I was just getting that light and it was my MAF, and I got it a few months back and it was my coilpacks. Any other symptoms? Car running ok?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it chokes once in a while but other than that nothing really, wasnt there a recall on coipacks?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Yes I think there was a recall. Or if there wasn't there should have been. I'm drawing a blank on the "workshop"... someone has to know...

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If you were around here, I'd scan your obd for you. I'd try and find somebody with a vag-com around you. Never heard of an emmissions workshop light before.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Its not a light. well, its the LED screen in the center of the gauge cluster. it reads "EMISSIONS WORKSHOP" I had that come up on my car. I think they just cleared the code last time it happend. I think the coilpacks of the 1.8ts were recalled (or factory updated-replaced for free by the dealership if they go bad). I dont know if that was for vr6s though.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheBoraDJ:
it chokes once in a while but other than that nothing really, wasnt there a recall on coipacks?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you should be able to have your coilpacks replaced free from your dealer from the recall. Most likely the code is an O2 sensor or it's from your exhaust. If you have a VAG-COM it would tell you what exactally the problem is. If you need to lookup a code here is the master listing http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tech/vw/vw.dtc.table.htm

Best of luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
i had the same message come on in my 2000 vr6, the dealer replaced the m.a.f sensor and o2 sensor, i dont know which was the prob though...

·
Registered
47 Posts
The text that reads "emmission workshop" can be caused by many factors. Mine came on my 2000/GTI/VR6/GLX after 55000 miles. I took it in and it turned out to be my MAF sensor. (this was just last week). Anyways, the dealer in CT took care of it for free. Looks like it hasn't been offcially recalled, but the 1999 and 2000's have a chronic early fail on the MAF which VW is now helping customers out with....just like the defective window assemblies...

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
ok my emissions workshop light just came on tonight while driving. I looked on the vortex and found that in most cases its the MAF sensor. I also found out that you can use the 2.0L maf sensor instead of the vr6 one. the reason for that is becuase the vr6 maf sensor is $300+ dollars compared to the $30 (I think) 2.0 one . so thats what Im going to do.

here is what a tex member says:
its the MAF, get a 2.0 MAss Air Flow one and put it in. They are the same, don't let the dealer tell you different. Make sure your battery us disconnected so it resets the codes and if it come back after you change it you need to have someone with Vag-com clear them. I've done maybe 4 now, all work out and no damage is done to you car with the 2.0 sensor.

best!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts