VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok fellas
here is the deal. i am doing a how to build up for a regional mag and need to get some engine stuff done.....i have an engine guy for the machining...i have a guy for the swap(gonna get another engine and have the work done to it then swap it in...not much down time)
what i need is a set up or something that can be done to a 1.8l 8v to make it fast...i have a 90 golf gl...it will have a full audio system...maybe video. i need to counteract the weight. i have some H & R ultra low coilovers on the way, i have to decide between the 16 or 17 inch konig rims. what I need to know is what is the best engine for the car...non turbo. i need drivability cuz for now it is a daily driver. it wont be after this winter. should i go with a 2.0l. can i do a 16v upper on a 8v bottom end. what kind of power can the trans handle(all factory 5 speed so far). i know this sounds like a 16yr old kid with high hopes......but i am bout to sink as much as i can into this thing...i bought it as a project car. i have a RV engine in there...is there better, or can i work with what i have and do well. i heard i can put a different manifold on there for the PF engine and get bout 5 hp.
if you need any info on anything.....please ask
Trevor

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Other, more knowledable, people will chime in but how would a new vr6 engine do in a mk2 versus what he mentioned above?

·
Registered
759 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
Other, more knowledable, people will chime in but how would a new vr6 engine do in a mk2 versus what he mentioned above?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think its a little more involved than an older VR6 but sick!! I saw one at MKIII Massiv...VR6

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Id say 2.0 swap, turbo it after winter, tranny can handle it without a turbo, but id swap it if your going to turbo it. You can do both speed and a huge audiosystem, one is going to ALWAYS suffer. if u have the money 1.8t or vr6 it...talk to vlks wgn speed, his a2 2.0l swap car is awsome and was fairly cheep. Thing moves too.

·
Registered
349 Posts
hey man. the best engine set up i have found for a mk2 golf/jetta so far that is naturally aspirated has been the 2.0 16v with the motronic fuel injection. the motronic is somewhat hard to find but once it is sourced, you can get some nice horsepower out of the car. a friend of mine has a golf with the setup with an intake box and msd ignition and it keeps up with his '02 1.8t with intake, exhaust and apr chip through 4th gear. if you're looking to mod the engine, i would do a port and polish job, deck the head about .030", get a techtonics adjustable cam gear, and aftermarket cams. i'm not quite sure of a horsepower spec with this setup but i think it should be up around 180-200. the motronic injection has different O2 sensors than jetronic injection and this gives it the capability to adjust the air/fuel mixture to constantly run a stoichiometric mix. if you need anything else let me know and ill do my best to find out what i can. peace

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bluemk2:
i'm not quite sure of a horsepower spec with this setup but i think it should be up around 180-200. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Riiiiighhhttt. 125 hp at the wheels is a pretty realistic shot for that setup.

2L 16v or 2L 8v, both good motors. The 8v leaves a little more room for something like a turbo in it's future (the 16v has to much compression for that, and you probably don't want to build a motor from scratch).

Stock tranny is good to, um... well, it depends on how you drive and how LONG it's good for. At 200 hp it should last quite a while... but don't be surprised if it lets go one day. And keep spare axles around. At 300 start worrying about 2nd and 3rd gear on a regular basis. And make weekly trips to the wreckers to stock up on axles.

My friends Callaway stage 2 cars count in the last 3 years:
1 input shaft bearing
1 ring an pinion set (all teeth stripped)
3 clutches
7 CV joints

Thats at about 180hp, and him driving the hell out of it.

My car makes less torque, but about the same hp (just higher). We run within .05 of eachother in the 1/4 mile, but I don't break drivetrain parts (except that pressure plate... but it had it coming).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts