VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is my dilemma: I drive a 01 2.0 and hate the lack of power. I have the money to do what I want to it, but no idea what to do. My 2 options (anymore options could be nice) are to drop in a 1.8T or a VR6. I’m just am not sure what engine to go with. I’m not sure what the cost/horse power differences will be. Has anyone done either one of these two engine swaps? How much trouble and money am I looking into spending. Will any of my 2.0 parts work with either engine?? Thanks for any and all advice you may be able to give.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Don't waste your time swapping engines. Trade your car in and get the car (and engine) you want. Sorry if I'm being to blunt here.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would trade it in, but I already have a $6000 custom sound system, and over $3000 in rims and other cosmetics.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by soccer_steven:
I would trade it in, but I already have a $6000 custom sound system, and over $3000 in rims and other cosmetics.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wow that's a lot of money you put into that car. imo, i would drop in a 1.8t engine b/c it's easier to modify, plus there are a lot of go fast parts that are very cheap. you could also look for a turbo set up or ask boosted bora how he likes his neuspeed supercharger that he put in his 2.0.

[ July 13, 2003: Message edited by: 1point8T ]

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yeah, for the money it'd cost to swap in a new motor you could probably get a pretty sweet turbo set up for your 2.0. There are plenty of 2.0's running around that have turbo set ups that run 13's in the 1/4.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well do you still have all of your original parts? if so just swap all of those back on rip out your system, then just a 1.8t or VR6 in the same color so you don't have to repaint the body parts.
In the long run it will be alot cheaper to re-install your system into another car then the pain to swap something into a newer car. you'll have to swap out the tranny, all the wiring, then i'm not sure if the mounting will be the same.
jon

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Plus I think you might run into a lot of problems with the swap. I think you would increase the chances of having things break. You could also do a Neuspeed supercharger.

·
Registered
777 Posts
id have to lean twords trading it in, ive seen a ton of crazy motor-swaps when i was doing mini's the fact is, on new motors with EFI and all the other electronic madness, a perfectly done motorswap would probably cost you more than the difference in the price to swap cars.... if you do a motorswap expect CEL's all the time and it will take even the most skilled mech. a few days to get all the bugs out.... im sure there are some that can de it perfectly the first time... but he(or she) might be very hard to find...

·
Registered
20 Posts
The wiring harness will be different for the VR6, different engine management. The 2.0 and 1.8T use the same, so it would be far more do-able. Could still be a nightmare, many little parts are likely to be different. I don't think it's a great idea to do this on a car you have to drive to work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts