VW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

A couple days ago I stalled on the highway in my 1996 VW Vento (Jetta in the US) 1.8 90 HK. It was completely dead. We got it towed back home and took it to a mechanic who replaced the ignition module and distributor cap. We also replaced the exhaust system 'cause it was getting kinda worn out.

The car now starts fine but it has almost no acceleration power even at high revs. It feels like the car is running on 2 cylinders.
This only occurs after the car has gotten warm. When we fire it up after letting it cool down completely it pulls much better but soon after when the temperature reaches the 90 degrees Celsius (194 degrees Fahrenheit), the problem occurs.
It also jumps slightly during acceleration and when we release the clutch, the revs plunge down to the point where the engine almost stalls.

Does anyone know what causes this? The car sits on 300.000 km. (186.000 mi.) and I live in Scandinavia where it's kinda cold right now if that could have any effect on the problem.

Regards
Andreas

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just a thought... It could be a faulty O2 sensor. O2 sensors do not control the engines performance till at or near normal operating temperature. So the engine basically runs in "open loop" until it warms up, then it collects info from the O2 sensors.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Un hook the battery if watter kit the coil it will short the ecu will go in to a limp mode and it won't start and if you go get it to start it will only run on 2cyl rest the battery and it will start and run fine I had the same problem on my car

1 - 4 of 4 Posts