VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just joined today and had a quick question for you. I just bought a 2000 Jetta GLS VR6. I put a K & N filter on it and after a few miles the engine light came on. So I went to a friend of mine at a vw shop and he cleared it. Well two days went by and now it is back on. I would love to get it to go away. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Hopefully you didnt, but its possible. When you put on the K&N, if you put too much oil on it, then it may have gotten oil on your MAF sensor. If so, you could try to clean it with a q-tip and some rubbing alchahol. BE VERY CAREFUL! these things are notoriously fragile, and expensive to replace.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I haven't put any oil on it. It is a cone filter. I removed the air box and then installed a filter on the original rubber intake. Thanks for the info though!!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I think the cone filter should have had oil in it... that is how it traps the smaller dirt particles. Sometimes if you are not careful, this oil will come out the backside of the filter and get on the MAF, causing the fault. You might just take the head off and check the inside of the pipe.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Maybe you messed around with your air sensor that tells your car how much air it wants. its right by the bolt on of the intake.
Does anyone know what Im talking about?

·
Registered
423 Posts
There really isn't a sensor to regulate the air coming in. Its just the throttle plate and your foot moving the butterfly open or close. The sensors on the the intake are usually the MAF (Mass Air Flow), and IAT (Intake Air Temp). The O2 sensors are one of many sensors that regulate fuel entering the chamber based on load on engine or temp of engine.

And for the cone filter, It should be oiled.

You can also use a fine mist of brake clean on the maf sensor filament. That's what gets covered with oil and can't heat up to a certain degree on start up so it trips the light.

[ April 23, 2003: Message edited by: A3VeeWee ]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for all the help. I'm going to take it back to my friends shop and have him test it again to see what code comes up.

thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts