VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to replace the engine moutns on my 87' Scirocco 16v for a few days now and i just can't get that bolt loose. any suggestions would be very helpful. I've tried wd-40 a bunch and air sockets and everything.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Well if you have soaked the hell out of the nut you may have to bust it off and re-thread. Also try getting some torque on the wrench/nut. Try a longer extension or what I use sometime is a long steel pipe that I slip over the wrench to get me a nice angle to build up the torque.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Try heating the area where the nut is screwed into usually heating twometal components causes the metal to soften and expand so the bolt can be loosened *(careful now that there's wd-40 on it tho) BIG TIME flammable

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried using a breaker bar with an extension and it stripped the bolt. Heating it right next to the block isn't a very confortable option. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you strip the head of the bolt/nut??? This shouldn't happen with the proper size socket, unless it was slipping off the head. If you want to heat it, you shouldn't be too worried because you can get a pretty controlled flame with a torch. Just beware that any rubber in the mount will burn and smell really bad.
Another option, if you have good access to the nut is a "nut splitter". This will break the nut off of the bolt for you. An auto parts store that sells hand tools, or Sears should have these. If you've stripped the head, even a good breaker bar and heating will likely not work now. You could also try drilling the head of the bolt off. Start with a smaller bit to get it going, and then go bigger until it falls off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts