VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 2.0L has 96K on it and its had this engine noise since 85K. I thought it was the trans making noise. Because the noise would come in at 1800-redline, in any gear. But One of my buddys was riding with me and told me it was the engine. So in my driveway with the hood open and i kept playing with the throttle up and down. And could hear it. It sounds like a lifter or like a valve spring broken or something from the valvetrain. The noise is starting to get to me. Also I live in CT so its cold here in the winter. And ever since i bought the car, Bought it used with 44K on it. Its had this horrible cold idle. Doesnt stall but when you first start it and give it gas and then let off the rpms drop to like 300 and then it goes back to about 750-900. If you hold the gas at about 1300rpm when you first start it, it will puff black smoke and the whole motor will sorta buck,Like its running too rich. It will do this for about 30 sec. Until there is a little heat in the engine. Its like the O2 sensor heater circuit is not working. I understand that its going to run rich but the idle is horrible. Any info would be great

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I would have someone check your valve srings and valves.It would not hurt to put on a new timing belt too .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is it a tapping noise????

1 - 4 of 4 Posts