VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I went to paint the grey part of my engine cover with a high gloss black, seemed like it would look cool to me, not to sure I like it now, especially since it did not lay smooth and even at all... any suggestions on how to get it to look better? will really high grit sandpaper make it better or just dull it out and take off the paint? Also if any of you think it looks like crap let me know because I don;t want to settle for just ok, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well. It is too bad that piece is plastic and not metal cuz I would have really liked to have it chrome or at least polished... stupid engine cover!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
There isn't really anyway to get the paint off of it now. If it's sandable paint then i would suggest wet sanding and see if you can get a good shine. wet sand with a pretty high grit paper and then polish the shit out of it and see if it helps. Also did you use high temp paint? because other wise it might flake off over time. And also dod you scuff the surface before painting? Because that can cause it to flake also. I'm digging the blue though it looks sweet.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VW013:
Can you get a better angle shot for us? I'm diggin the blue for sure but need a better shot for the black part to see if it's worth it or not.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I can't really see it too well fron that angle. But I would think some sandpaper maybe then put another coat of paint over it.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I really like the blue. I can sortof see that the black didnt turn out too well...I would recommend sanding it real well, and repainting it (if thats what you want to do that is). best.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
it looks fine to me but if you dont like it take it to a paint shop and tell them to do it or get a carbon fiber one

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Well,

I was heping a friend paint his plastic engine cover yesterday. The others are right as far as sanding it down and using a high temp paint. I used 200 grit to rough up the surface, cleaned it, (base coat+sand)X 4; the last sanding was done with a wet sandpaper. Then we applied three coats of the final color (red). Its drying as we speak so I'll try to get a couple of pics.

[ June 02, 2003: Message edited by: RafCarre12 ]

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
what i did was i wet sanded mine with 400 grit wet. primed it. then wet sanded with 400 wet again. then painted with black hi temp, then wet sanded with 600. painted, wet sanded 800 painted then clear coated. and it looks like glass or the outside of my car. so i say wet sand yours with 600 then see how it comes out and maybe 800 after that then a light EVEN respray.
rich

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So yeah whatever I try doesnt help, I think I am gonna just sand it all off eventually, so what i would REALLY like to do is have it so it looks polished or chrome... any idea on how to do that since its plastic?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Folia tec sells mirror adhesive film. It's for the underside of your hood but it might work for what you want. It handle sheat. But it might be a little too shiny. Just a suggetion. Or have a custom engine cover nade out of aluminum or somthing and have it polished.That'd be cool

·
Registered
9 Posts
Question for TheBoraDJ, doesn't have anything to do with engine painting, sorry...but are those ADR GT sport wheels 18" in hyper silver finish?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are they good quality? I'm going to get new 18", I've only had 17" and I've heard stories about the wheels bending and I certainly don't want that to happen. They appear to look really nice on your car, I was already interested in them then I saw them on your car and they look pretty good so it reinforced my opinion of them.

G

·
0 Posts
this is a carbon fider cover...i'm putting on on when i get the 1.8T in my car.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah for the blue part, but i like it blue, its the black that sucks lol

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
Well,

I was heping a friend paint his plastic engine cover yesterday.... I'll try to get a couple of pics.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heres the pic:

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
Heres the pic:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You want to paint mine?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts