VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran my car pretty hard racing. I have a 2.0L block with the stock CIS-E head in a 86-GTI. The car wants to stall out the first minute or so (cold start) then runs fine but it gets bad gas mileage -- 16 compared to 33 before. It also backfires a bit but I think that this is due to a clean air-filter and high-flow exhaust. I built the car on my own - new everything - and it has ran well for two years of GTI driving. Does anyone have any clues

·
Registered
73 Posts
well most cars dont run the greatest at cold starts, but not to your extent. slean airfilter and new exhaust will only help it run better. not sure about your problem for sure though, it could be a number of things.
goodluck. sorry I wasn't a help

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have basically the same car 87 gti with a 16v 2.0L conversion. I have the same problem with the back firing and cold starts. I havent been able to fix the problem yet because im to broke. Basically what im hearing is the CIS injection isnt supplying enough fuel to the 2.OL block, since it is made for a 1.8 block. I dont know what you already have on your car but a autotech powermodule is suppose to help clear this problems up by supplying more fuel to the engine. Also u probaply want to gut out ur airbox and get a k&n which might help out ur mileage a bit. Also get ur cars timing and idling set if u havent already. Sorry if this is no help at all but im experiences the same problems and am trying everything to eliminate them. email me if u have questions [email protected]

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I dont know how sophisticateded the ECU is on these engines, but I would have the air flow meter and the o2 sensor checked, those were the problem when my nissan experienced the same symptoms. Basically the computer is telling you that the engine is getting too much or too little air, and the computer is choking/flooding the gas to respond, when the condition doesn't really exist.

·
Registered
96 Posts
the guy above me hasnt a clue what hes saying. cis has no ecu. it also has no air mass meter. try the fuel filter not many people change them.you may want to check out your cold start injector and make sure its working. its the 5th injector on the right corner of the intake manifold.

·
Registered
19 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by b3nnybl4z3:
the guy above me hasnt a clue what hes saying. cis has no ecu...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not trying to knock you, B3nny... You probably have a better clue than I but, aren't these dub ECUs?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1872269699

or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1871402655

I think ECU is a generic term for these engine pewters...

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
yea when i had my 92 1.8l golf i went through some of the same problems. i had a usual backfiring problem and ran sluggish at times. i basicly went through the process of illimination of replacing different sensors filters, plugs, wires and so on. yea all my buddies thought it was the coolest thing when my car would backfire and shoot flames out the back, but i wasn't big on all that... lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts