VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what the pitfalls of putting a '91 Jetta engine into an 87 Fox. The displacements are the same, but will the tranny and F.I. system work? I am also considering a 2.0 Jetta engine in since there is so much room under the fox's hood. Anyways, lemme know what you think.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this would be my first experience at an engine swap, I have no idea what type of FI system is on the newer engines. I know that the one I have on the '87 1.8 is a mechanical system that delivers the fuel by a rotor system similar to the electrical distributor. I can imagine there would be complications with an engine designed for an Elect. FI system being put onto a mechanical system.

G

·
0 Posts
you might beable to fit a 2.0 16V in there too the bottom end bolts up like a 1.8 8V on a 91 jetta and 92.

·
Registered
175 Posts
be carefull with a 2.0 xflow (aba) it is a taller block than the others, might have clearance problems. pretty sure a 16v will fit in just fine. just need a donor car for fi and linkage or a complete engine with fi, and it should bolt up to any vw tranny.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks, the other question I have, which may or may not be common knowledge is whether the exhaust manifold will have to be rerouted or custom fitted. I am skeptical about spending the money and then running into tons of other expenses to make it work. Is there a wweb rersource where I can see exactly what is involved in this sort of process?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts