VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 1987 Jetta GLI 1.8 8v with very high mileage. Could anyone give some feedback as to if a newer 1.8t could be a smooth transition. If not what engine would be better suited.

·
Registered
526 Posts
its expensive but definitly a worthwhile engine. im doing it to my 92 next summer. i think the hardest parts of the swap are the wiring and getting it so the turbo doesnt hit the firewall. and mounting the tranny i hear is a little hard. if you get it get drive by cable and make the swap easier

·
Registered
58 Posts
For a first-time swapper, hook up with folks who have swapped before and see what they say.

1. A mk4 turbo swap WILL NOT be cheap.
2. It will not be easy either.
3. 16v's are pretty cheap and easy to score, but if it's been beat on, you're swapping in a headache.
4. 2.0 x-flow 8v's are a dime a dozen and just as reliable-if not more-than your old 8v. More power too.
5. G60 has limitless possibilites, but you need a limitless checking account too.

The most affordable route would most definetly be the x-flow. It bolts right in and once you have things smoothed out, you can step it up a notch or three.

Here's a 2.0 x-flow to get you drooling.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
the x flow is the motor out of a mk3. the air goes in the front and out the back. cross the head(cross flow). The older 8v's go in the back and out the back. It's more efficient to have a cross flow. They are also a lot easier to turbo. There are several bolt on turbo kits that are less than 3 grand. I would also like the swap more than a 16v because of reliability and ease of tuning. And would be probably the cheapest swap.

·
Registered
413 Posts
ohhh, so it's just the basic 2.0 that the MK3s have? that's still pretty chill, didn't know that, thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
so with the x-flow, its a eight valve engine.
But it is better than the 16v engines?
Just wanted to make sure I read right.

What are the exact years/cars this engine came from? For these cars, how much boost can you run on stock internals?

·
Registered
26 Posts
thanks emily

Anyone hear know if
the 9A "2.0 16v" engine swap it fairly simple for my 90 jetta?

Also will the tranny and axels be suitable without any modification??

·
Registered
526 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by irishpilot:
thanks emily

Anyone hear know if
the 9A "2.0 16v" engine swap it fairly simple for my 90 jetta?

Also will the tranny and axels be suitable without any modification??
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

if you have a donor car it will be cake to put in because youll have everything u need. it will bolt right up so no problems there. as far as axles i think most of it should go on without mods

1 - 12 of 12 Posts