VW Forum banner

21 - 40 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I replaced the flange and filled the system with coolant. Everything held and the system had no leaks.

Tried to start the car and nothing. It wants to start but just won't kick over. Battery is at 12.59v. I cleaned the air filter. Took the hose off the MAF and found a small amount of OIL!!!!! WTF.....

Kept going up the line and cleaned everything. Put it back together and it still won't turn over!!!!

I'm at a loss.....

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Do a quick checkover of your engine and make sure everything is plugged in. Especially your engine coolant sensor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

My car is overheating and i have no idea where to even start. on the hud the temperature needle stays on 90, but the radiator doesn't turn on and the temperature warning light is constantly flashing. I've checked the fuses and none of them are blown, under the hood the water coolant thing is really hot and when i open it boiling water literally sprays out as though its under a lot of pressure, and then its empty.

I have no idea what's going on (clearly) or where to start, but im keen to learn for future issues.. can anyone help?

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If your gauge says its running at 90 degrees then its not overheating. That flashing light on your dash means that your coolant is too low. Top it up and see what happens. And yes it will always spray out on you when its hot, its a pressurized system.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The light on the dash still flashes when it is full? and iv looked under the car, it doesn't seem to be leaking. Should i be concerned?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am about to buy '94 VR6 Golf 3, but guy who sells it warn me to be careful with temperature and to avoid it using in traffic jam...Car is in Kuwait (with outside temp above 44C), normal running temp on gage was about 100C, and he said it should maintain bellow 110C..What is normal temp for this engine and what should I be concerned of for this engine?
Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I've got a Jetta 3 CSX 1997 model, that also got a problem on the cooling system.
1. Two months ago I replaced the Front flange that houses the ECT sensor. That stopped the water leak.
2. Today the temp gauge stood on zero on a 30km drive at highway speeds. When I checked the system, I found it full of coolant, but when testing the ECT sensor I got readings between 29 kOhm and 10 kOhm when heated up to about 80 deg C.
3. According to the specs it must be approx 550Ohm at 85 Deg C. I put a resister of 550 Ohm on the plug and the needle stay on zero.
4. Another thing I noticed is the erratic iddling and rev counter not always indicating. With that flashing oil pressure light. Tested the pressure at Filter and head and all okay. Someone told me the rev counter is the culprit.

Anyone that can help please do so.

Awaiting your replies.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You overheated cause you had no coolant. Its not because of your thermostat or water pump. And that is your coolant flange, they warp. But never heard of them squirting coolant. Are any of your hoses broken?

Actually that's what mine did it was squirting from the bottom where it was warped.

·
Registered
94 Posts
How would one go about figuring out if they had a bad ECT sensor or thermostat which is stuck open?

My car rarely goes above 70*C, unless I'm sitting in traffic. It takes a while to even move the gauge off the pin. I'm thinking my thermostat is probably stuck open, but is there a possibility the ECT sensor is faulty? I'd hate to go to the trouble of ripping everything apart to replace the thermostat, only to find it isn't stuck open.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think you're right, because my fuel mileage sucks. The first tank of gas I got about 28 mpg, and this past time I filled up I calculated it to about 21 mpg. Guess I'll go ahead and change the thermostat. mcrow, do you know a good place to get one? Do you guys have Lordco out there in Alberta?

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yeah we have lordco here but never bought anything from them. I buy all my stuff from Concept 1. A local VW shop here, better prices than dealer. They carry a ton of OEM parts, they just dont list em on the site.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thermostat removal

I am in the process of try to get out the thermostat. I have already removed the power steering pump and bracket but there is still a bracket in the way that appears to be attached to the alternator. Do I have to remove the alternator to get this bracket off or am I just missing something? I looked at your diagram but I'm still a little confused, I'm gonna take another look in the morning but any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
There is no need to remove anything to do with the alternator, just power steering. Its tight to get up at the thermostat but doable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
coolant quest

I see on the first thread that my coolant should be filled "50/50" What are the two components? also my reservoir thing is old and the markings are worn. How can I tell when it is filled? Also is it common to have to fill this reservoir often? I live in AZ where the temps outside reach 100+ for two to three months and have filled it at least three times since February (less than a year). It is a 97.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
It should be 50/50 with water and coolant. If the water level is about halfway up the bubble you should be fine. And no you shouldnt be filling it often.

·
Registered
7 Posts
One more quick thing

My bubble is so bad that I cannot even tell if it is full by looking through it. It is more like a yellow color than white/clear. If I were to google this part in order to replace it, what would I call it?

BTW you rock!
Thanks

21 - 40 of 98 Posts