VW Forum banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
1996 Golf ABA 2.0L

There's an o-ring that's supposed to be changed every time you split the quick-connect between the lower rad hose and the thermostat housing (the one you pull the clip on). Any idea what size this o-ring is? Went to a VW dealer and they said they don't carry it, so am looking at an alternative.

Changed whatever the muddy green stuff was to G12. Just pulled the lower rad hose off the plastic elbow instead of pulling the clip to split the thermostat flange from the elbow.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Are you talking about the thermostat o-ring? Because thats the only o ring down there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another Question...

New here, have a 96 Golf & Love it.
Just replaced the Coolant flange due to a small crack in it, and still over heating. Replaced the Thermostat (not ez) and have sufficient coolant in it. Still Overheating...Having read the temprature on different hoses could this be the water pump not circulating properly??? And is this a big job?
Any help appreciated.
JKad

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Could be air in your system from when the thermostat done. It sometimes interfers with the fans and there could be air in the heater core

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the help..Will let you know if thats the problem. Tonight Im taking off the H2o Pump to see if its working correctly. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Actually what happened is the Impellar was slipping on the shaft, the shaft spins and the impellar is made out of plastic & not spinning. Still no fans???

·
Registered
7 Posts
temp/cooling issue

i have a problem with my cooling system, i just replaced the thermostat, i broke down and got one from the dealer $45, installed it, and now the coolant just pukes out the coolant ball. i know water pump is good, head gasket is good, heater core is good cause there is no coolant smelll inside my car. i also flushed everything when i changed the t-stat and nothing was out of the ordinary. any help would be great cause im at wits end with this thing. its a 98 jetta 2.0l. i used a airlift to add the coolant (draws a vacuum on the system so no air gets in) so air bubbles are not an issue

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Check the o-ring on the cap for the resevoir. If its out of position coolant will piss out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ill take a look, its like spewing out of the side of the coolant ball where the two holes are. i didnt have this problem before i changed it. i made sure the belt was tight cause i know it would play a part in it. its like the coolant is running backwards or its not flowing right, but the waterpump is new. i dont know, i worked on gm's my whole life (sorry guys for metioning GM) and friends of mine have vw's and i know they can be complicated. you can shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] if u wwould like. just put 98 jetta as the subject. thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
These will spew coolant out when the system cant pressurize due to a bad o ring. Bet its your problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yeah, i looks like when i put the cap back on i must of snagged it on something, it was pinched and out of place. i found one in my tool box. would of never have guessed that an o ring is my problem. thanks again for your help. your a genius!

·
Registered
14 Posts
So i checked my fan and coolant they're ok and coolant sensor reads about 70 ohms on my voltmeter, but when i idle for over 5-10 min my temp gauge jumps up to about 3/4 (after its already warm), i can crank the heat to help it go down a little or drive and it drops back within normal range, is this normal? can a bad radiator do this? It doesnt affect driving its just 5 degrees F in minnesota right now so i like to start my car in the morning and let it warm up, i just dont want it to overheat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys, I just joined the forum. I have a 1996 2l jetta. I live in Montreal and its been very cold lately. My problem is that my engine is over heating in -30 c weather nd i dont know why. But my first problem was my power steering failed. The next day (last monday) i drove to get groceries and my engine took for ever to heat up, but once the engine temp started going up it went all the way to the end of the gauge, my heat wasnt working and the a/c vents where blowing vapor from the engine compartment. It took about 25 min to get to this point, by which i had already rrived at the grocery store and the heating finally started to work. on the way back the heating worked fine but the engine started to overheat again, but not as bad as on the way there(no vapor throu the a/c vents). Today I went to get groceries again and it overheated way fster this time and the heating never turned on. So i stoped at a gas station and put engine coolant in the system and when I opened the cap it as like little explosion of coolant and gas.... The coolant system took a whole bottle of coolant and decided to drive back home(with a frozen windshield.... scary stuff) the car was still overheating and no heat. Its so cold that I decided to wait till tomorrow to fix it because i couldnt feel my hands. What should I check first? fuse box, then temp senors? anyone on here from montreal?
Thanks in advance,
Hecti

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi guys, I just joined the forum. I have a 1996 2l jetta. I live in Montreal and its been very cold lately. My problem is that my engine is over heating in -30 c weather nd i dont know why. But my first problem was my power steering failed. The next day (last monday) i drove to get groceries and my engine took for ever to heat up, but once the engine temp started going up it went all the way to the end of the gauge, my heat wasnt working and the a/c vents where blowing vapor from the engine compartment. It took about 25 min to get to this point, by which i had already rrived at the grocery store and the heating finally started to work. on the way back the heating worked fine but the engine started to overheat again, but not as bad as on the way there(no vapor throu the a/c vents). Today I went to get groceries again and it overheated way fster this time and the heating never turned on. So i stoped at a gas station and put engine coolant in the system and when I opened the cap it as like little explosion of coolant and gas.... The coolant system took a whole bottle of coolant and decided to drive back home(with a frozen windshield.... scary stuff) the car was still overheating and no heat. Its so cold that I decided to wait till tomorrow to fix it because i couldnt feel my hands. What should I check first? fuse box, then temp senors? anyone on here from montreal?
Thanks in advance,
Hecti
Okay so I just went out for a bit to check something on my car and I realised that the vents between the hood and the windshield are completely covered in ice. Could this have an effect on the hvac system?? I'll try and clean it out tomorrow.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts