VW Forum banner

61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
The plugged vents shouldnt affect anything. Same thing happened to me this winter in -35C. Overheated like crazy and had no heat. I figured my coolant had slushed up and was making it overheat or my thermostat was frozen. I was right, i parked in my heated underground parking overnight and it was back to normal the next day. I would say your thermostat is stuck closed for whatever reason frozen or faulty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The plugged vents shouldnt affect anything. Same thing happened to me this winter in -35C. Overheated like crazy and had no heat. I figured my coolant had slushed up and was making it overheat or my thermostat was frozen. I was right, i parked in my heated underground parking overnight and it was back to normal the next day. I would say your thermostat is stuck closed for whatever reason frozen or faulty.
Thanks for the help, I opened up the hood this morning and found out that the belt that connects the water pump to the crank shaft was missing... gonna go find a replacement today, anyone know what size??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, I have read insane amounts of materials and about two years worth of posts and am still not sure what I am looking at. I am seriously remedial in all things car, but am trying to learn.

First and foremost, what temperature should this thing be running at? I have googled extensively and cannot find a clear answer. As of now it is running between 160-180 degrees Fahrenheit. It occasionally gets to 200, but it is rare.

The oil light is flashing, but it doesn't smell like it's overheating. I have checked the coolant and it is there, but doesn't seem to be 50/50. I am 90% sure there's a coolant leak, but it seems to be slow.

I guess I need to know if this is a real problem or a spastic light bulb problem?

The car has some (many) other issues that I think are unrelated, but if there's some kind of plague that is common to the model and year that might be the problem I'm happy to give all the gory details.

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Normal operating temperature is 90C or 195F, if its not reaching 195F and staying there then your thermostat is stuck open. Check the thermostat sticky to see if its your issue.

Is the oil light going off at low rpms or high rpms? I would suspect your oil pressure switches are going bad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey everyone! Well along with a few other issues this one really bothers me about my car. The guy I bought it from had hard wired the fan directly to the battery. He said he didn't have enough money to get and ECT sensor and it was a quick fix to just buy it and replace it and my fans would kick on by themselves. Well I realized after I bought the sensor that when he hacked the wire to the radiator fan, any wires that were coming to the sensor were gone! How can i wire this back up?

I'm hoping I bought the right sensor and im talking about the right thing here if not then simply... the fans r hooked up to the battery and I would like them to kick on by themselves is that to much to ask!? lol

The car is not insured bc of other small problems its having with rear lights so im not driving it. But when I was trouble shooting first gear; if i left the fans hooked up to the battery the car would stay pegged at cold and if i left the fans off the needle would shoot straight up and start beeping at me within 7 or 8 mins. I also noticed that there's no coolant only water. I plan to do a complete flush very soon but I'd like to fix this fan problem first. Any wiring diagrams would be very helpful! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Overheating in cold weather

I have read all but could not find anything that related to my problem.

The problem with my car is it overheating when the temperature drop below 30F or -1 celcius. The temperature went up to 110. But when I turn on the heat it went back down to 90. I'm not sure what the problem is :(.

Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
so it was hot and humid here for once in MN.
sitting in traffic the car overheated.

I some coolant came out the resevoir cap and dripped onto this:

(it was starting to smoke/steam and was really hot to the touch...so what is it?) the plasic cover on it had popped up and coolant got in it.
the slot on the left had a 20 fuse in it and the right was empty.

added coolant to get home and it started to overheat again when I was almost home (the temp gauge went up and the coolant light on again)

I noticed the fans kept running even hours after the car was left sitting.

I unplugged it so it wouldn't run all night.

plugged it back in and it didn't come back on.also replaced the 20 fuse ...left the other empty on the right side since it was apparently empty before anyway ...
then used the car to go about 2 miles and sit in the Micky D's drivethough for 20 minutes...the
temp gauge stayed in normal range and nothing weird happened.

checked to see if the fan was running after I turned the car off. it was not...but hours later
the fans were on again. so what gives? does that empy fuse slot need a fuse? I have a Bentley manual ,but could not find that fuse holder's name.

(thermostat,waterpump and coolant were all replaced 8 months ago and no issues till now)
the upper hose felt like coolant was moving through it while the car was running)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Everything is normal in the fuse box. There should be a 20 amp fuse in the left slot and the metal strip is a 30 amp fuse while the right isnt used. That is the fan control module, i have dripped 10's of litres on it and it still works. Dont worry about that.

My guess would be you have an issue with your thermoswitch. You'll have to do the paper clip test. Heres a link on how to do it, instructions are right at the top.

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/Campingart/jettatech/acwork/index.htm

·
Registered
18 Posts
it's dead, Jim.

I pulled the resevoir off and the box...the box actually has a hole melted in the side ---it's toast.
Looks like I also need new plugs as they are toast too.
I found the boxes all over Ebay(all supposedly working) but the wire harness is harder to find and looks like a bitch to splice in...one side has 8 pins and wires (small wires) and the other has 4 pins and larger wires.

so the fuse slot on the right stay's empty?

thanks for the info

·
Registered
2 Posts
my temp gauge needle stays in the middle all after driving for 5 minuiets, the coolant light blinks all the time and my heater blows cold air. any suggestions other than bad cluster ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
93 Golf MK3 overheating.

I have read this whole post and while the examples come close, none really fit my problem. So i am going to ask anyways. My 93 MK3 golf 2.0 will overheat in town in stop and go traffic. Going down the highway the temperature gauge stays at about 190 degrees. When i open the hood to check the coolant level the hood is almost too hot to handle but the coolant level is in between the min and max. I have not checked the heater inside the car as it is in the 90s here in California. Reading another forum it sounds like my thermostat is stuck open. Is that what it sounds like to you, the experts? Thanks in advance for any advice you might provide.:lol:

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
If your thermostats stuck open, it wont overheat. It will underheat.

Are your fans cycling? It just sounds like your fans arent running while stop and going. But on the highway it doesnt matter because theres so much moving air to keep your radiator cool.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't hear the fans running while in the car in traffic but when I turn the car off i hear them running. when i squeeze the top hose i don't feel or hear any coolant moving. Maybe i have air in my system? OK, went out and pulled car into driveway and ran it at 2000 rpm from a cold engine takes approximately 5 minutes to warm up. Have hot air blowing from heater. The fans cycle on when the car gets above 200 degrees and off when under 190. So it looks like that is working correctly. So why does it overheat when in traffic? By overheat i mean get really hot and the engine doesn't want to run correctly.

·
Registered
310 Posts
like others Ive seen similar problems as in this thread but not the same one as mine. here goes, i have a 2000 gti vr6 and it does not over heat but it loses coolant? does anyone know why? the coolant light comes on, but will go off if you open the overflow tank? also it has water in it not coolant (i think this might just be my problem. i think it might be boiling?) any help is appreciated :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes water only is bad for a few reasons, no rust prevention, no freeze protection, boils at a lower point, and I can only assume its not distilled water so it more then likley has minerals ETC in it. I would recomend a coolant flush, proper 50/50 mix of coolant. Also from this threads posts and prior experiance the plastic ports and adapters on these motors are easily replaced and fairly cheap, so if any look bad I would replace those as they are known to leak.

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi guys.

i have a 98 golf 1.8l. it is throwing coolant out of the overflow bottle. but it never gets hot. if anything it runs cold. it rarely goes above 70. i have now fixed my thermo fan motor problem (boy was that a job!!) and its still doing it! any ideas guys?? thermostat?

also i have heard that some of the overflow bottle caps lose there seal and the system cant pressurize thus throwing coolant out. is the cap supposed to have a rubber ring or seal around the inside??

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Yeah it needs a seal, theres an o ring. That's your problem with the losing coolant. And you might have to do the thermostat as well.

61 - 80 of 98 Posts