VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've had some recent issues with my mk2 gti 8v. apart from ongoing idle speed problems, i recently changed the distributor cap and rotor arm, only to find the previous cap faulty and therefore running the engine on 3 cylinders. since replacing these parts i've been getting a constant ticking (mechanical), which increases speed in relation to rpm, from what seems to be the head area. what is valve lash? could this be my problem or what about fuel pressure or mixture? any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
If it's a metal ticking and it increases faster when you accelerate it has to be within the engine. Cylinders, valves, etc. Also your timing may be off when it was running on 3 cylinders. Also check your oil, sometimes if the engine is not running normal your oil could burn faster and you then would hear more metal on metal. Hopefully nothing is damaged. Another way to check is drain the oil. Then examine it to ensure the oil looks clean. Meaning no metal flakes or metal colors in the oil. If you do see that something maybe be grinding inside.

As always if you afraid have it professionally looked over. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
hey i 2 have that problem. also, i burn oil. my car's performance didnt change at all when it started and everything still feels fine but it makes that sound. i didnt think that it was deathly crushal or anything but now that you say it could be valves or the head or any of that i am concerned. if i decide not to fix cuz i dont have the $ is she going to die?

·
Registered
96 Posts
i am going to assume you have hydralic lifters. (most gtis do) One of them is just pluged with oil sludge or broken. its not too bad but does need to be fixed. that could also be your idle problew because you may have a lazy valve. hope that helps. a new set will dun you about 100 bucks and they are straigth forward to put in. just look it up in the bible and your on your way.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
shes up to 144500 miles. i am going to be changing the oil in about 500 miles, so soon. would it hurt just to wait till the 150000 mile checkup do you think? i am trying to save up for that. does anyone know how much taht usually costs? thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
That ticking noise is the hydro lifters or cam followers (they are the same thing). Over time they wear, or build up causes them to stick and tick. They are relatively cheap (8$ each, you need 8 from www.gprparts.com) and extremely simple to replace.

1: Remove Valve Cover
2: Remove cam bearings, make sure to follow order specefied in bentley manual.
3: pull followers out of place
4: install new followers
5: install cam and valve cover

replace all 8 lifters, don't replace just one. This all should take about 1-2 hours depending on mechanical skill.

·
Registered
3 Posts
8v engines are prone for exhaust leaks/manifold cracks that create that ticking sound you hear. Check it out before you get into the head.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts