VW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the Jetta but I've had a couple of problems. The first was an emission warning last summer after 35k miles. I'm thinking it's just an O2 sensor. I've had at two different dealers and they can't get the codes to download. They say they would need time to figure it out. I didn't have the money to do that. How much is a sensor anyway? Ignoring that the car's run great anyway. This morning I got another problem. It's -14F here and after letting my car warm up for 10 minutes I left for work. While driving the EPC light came on. I drove another 5 blocks and as I pulled into the parking lot the car died. It started again but that's where I left it for now. A dealer I called suggested a bad battery or charging system. Any ideas? A friend has a VAG computer but with the car's computer not downloading it doesn't do much good. Is it gonna cost me a fortune to have all this taken care of? Does anyone please have any suggestions? The nearest dealer is 300 miles away too to make things harder.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Ok, a few questions..

1. What year and engine is it? If its a Mk4, there was a recall on the O2 sensors.

2. How many miles are on it?

After you answer these, we will be able to help you a little better.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a great forum. I'm glad I found it. Anyway its a 2001 VR6 with 45k miles on it. The EPC light actually went off a little later in the day. Maybe it was the -15F weather. So is there a recall on the sensor for this model? As for the computer problem could it be the result of an aftermarket CD deck installed. The techs were stumped as to why the VAG couldn't get the codes from the car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts