VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one,

I have recently bought another mk3 golf GTi and earlier this week on the LCD display where the milage is usually displayed it comes up with the word Error then 6 dashed lines - they flash alternate but only when the ignition is on. When the key is removed the milage once again show's!!

Can anybody inform me what it it??

Cheers Mark

·
Registered
22 Posts
that's bizarre and I've never heard of it or witnessed it. I do believe the mileage input is fed by the PCM, so... is there ANYTHING at all else not functioning correctly? Have you tried to wiggle the wires going into the cluster?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apart from the error message and the alternating 6 dash's on the milage display everything else works spot on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried everything that i can do myself and its had a fault code reader plugged in to the car but nothing shows on that!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just also noticed that the milage stays the same so its not adding any milage to the counter.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I would rebuild the cluster. Take it out clean the connectors with DeOxit and resolder the solder joints. The car vibration slowly causes the solder joints on the PCB to go cold and create logic problems from the chips in the cluster and out to the ECU.

This is common on MK3s -I've resurected mine from the dead twice for the cost of a lttle bit of 60/40 solder (5 bucks). You'll need a torx set and a at least 35-60 watt soldering iron. (800 degrees is optimum). Just retouch the joints until they gloss over through the whole joint -don't hold it any longer or you'll lift the traces off the PCB.

This is a cheap way to fix most cluster problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts