VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can ESP (traction control) be bad for any reason? Will it slow you down in the quarter mile? Is this a stupid question? lol

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Overall it's a good thing to have. I know my ASR has saved me a couple times on icy and wet roads. But if you running the quarter mile, you might want to turn it off so it doens't reduce your power. Someone else will prob. respond with a more detail answer.
jon

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
There is no reason for you to have your ASR on at all when launching. All DBW 1.8T's (that I know of) have EDL (electronic differential lock) which stays on even when you switch the ASR off. The EDL automatically turns off though when the car hits speeds of 25mph or faster. This is why when you spin the tires from a stop, you will always find two patches of tire on the pavement even though we have an open differential (power to path of least resistance), and when hitting low speed corners in first gear, you will feel the tires grop considerably more than a high speed second gear turn where your inside wheel will squeal as it loses traction. It almost works as a poor mans LSD at speeds of less than 25mph and is very helpful at the track when launching.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Components:

#Brake servo/Pressure sensor
#Steering wheel angle sensor
# Yaw rate sensor
# ABS Hydraulic unit with ECU

Info:

Electronic Stabilization Program(ESP) is not an independent system. It employees ABS during opertaion.

ESP measures inputs such as steering anle, longitudinal, and Traverse Acceleration Rotational Rate sensors. The system actively controls and manages sequence of vehicle braking system and engine throttle in order to prevent loss of driver control.

ESP: Understeer and Oversteer management

ESP system constantly monitors two major parameters.
1. Driver's direction of the car(Steering wheel angle and wheel speed sensors)
2. Vehicle's direction of travel(yaw rate and lateral acceleration)

When vehicle understeers, ESP responds by selectively activating the rear brake on the inside corner, and intervening in the engine ad transmission managemnt systems, to prevent the vehicle from over shooting the corner.

If the vehicle oversteers, ESP responds by selectively activating the rear brake on the outside corner, and intervening in the engine and transmission management systems, to prevent the vehicle from skidding.

Benefits

1. Makes your vehicle that much safer!
2. Will increase the chance of avoiding an accident due to driver's over reaction.
3. Significantly improves handling.

It will hinder a good launch during dry conditions, but save your life in bad weather. If your going to the track turn it off, no biggy.

[ December 02, 2003: Message edited by: Josh Fryauff ]

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

1 - 4 of 4 Posts