VW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, just got my hands a one of the euro license plate area to replace my US-spec holder area. Here's my question...I don't want to drill into this thing so is there another actual bracket piece I need to hold my US plate and allow me to switch off my euro plate at shows? Some help here please......

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
I have the bracket/frame installed on my MK4. You will need to drill to support the plate. The only alternative is to use 3M double face tape. It works but is not as strong...but saves you from drilling those holes.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I would strongly advise to drill. Besides this is only plastic you are drilling. You can always patch it up very easy, beyond recognition.

DB, it is funny you mention that 3M tape thing. ION's ago when I was very stupid, I let Autosport Motorclub (Yes I am going to metnion their STUPID name) put on and wire fog lights onto my (before the kit Jetta).

These idiots didn't drill they fu#$#$ing used that 3M thing to put my fog lights on and told me that this is strong enough. The reason they didn't drill is because they couldn't get in with a drill to the place where I wanted them.

Sure enough, next morning I see a fog light dangling on a wire. Went to my bro he drilled the holes in 10 minutes.

Very long ago OCT 2001.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Believe it or not, right after posting this thing I went ahead and checked out the site for the euro frame a little more and they have a dealer that sells euro plates for them. He also sells a euro frame holder for this piece. He recommended maybe altering that piece a little to help hold my US plate on there. Minor drilling to that unit instead but will allow me to just clip my euro plate right in when at a show.

Yeah that 3M tape stuff will get you in trouble! At this store I used to work at some of the other installers would mount fog lights with only 3m cause thats what it came with and if you were a jerk to them EVER they wouldn't take the time or even mention drilling a hole for you. Would you believe some people would tell you only to use an adhesive to hold your side skirts on!?!?!?!?! My boy didn't listen, cost him a new set of side skirts about 4 hours laters going down the road. LOL

Later all!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I do believe it. The guy one of the local idiots here where I live tried to tell me that's all you need to. Luckily I shop in Toronto and they told me to do it properly. I put all kit and paint with my brother and a friend of mine who owns a shop. Rivets, Fibre Glass, Primer, Paint baby.

I wish I could put Euro plate on my car, but here in bloody Canada I need the other plate up front too. I see some people with both euro and regular one, but I don't like the look of both of them up.

Hey, post a pic of your car with that new licence plate of yours. What are you waiting for?

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
yea im tryin to figure out where i want to relocate my license plate b/c im getting my trunk shaved so im thinkin somewhere on the rear bumper i guess any ideas let me no. thanks

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would post a pic but, and please fight to hold back the tears, in the past 6 months I was rear ended 3 times. ALL NOT MY FAULT!!! I had the Projectzwo rear end that I got at an unmentionable price and now I have decided since I can't get that deal again I am gonna get a factory rear with the Wings West rear apron molded on and the lines smoothed out. Basically I am buying things left and right, keeping them in the back room till spring when my boy's shop can install everything at once for me and get all of it painted and just come out hard as I can for the year. As soon as I get started on the strip down and rebuild and I am gonna take pics and start alot of posting.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Wow. I like what I am seeing.

As for the rear ending stuff, if I were you I would press the brake once or twice just flash it to scare the f#$#$ behind you, at least 2 to 3 seconds before you really have to break. I know it is easy to say, my brother got rear ended leaving the dealership in a brand new Pathfinder, they had to use jaws of live (J/K), to remove the spare wheel from the rear hatch. HEHEHEH

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You should see me now, I am one of those people who leaves too much space in front of them. Pisses off the people behind me so I can give everyone enough time to get off of my butt.
I want to get the Andy's Autosport front end now because in the last accident I was hit to the point where I barely tapped this lady in front of me. Shifted my front bumper a little and cracked one of the fog lights. I heard recently the fog lights are no longer sold. I'm S.O.L........
Anyways the ideas are runnin and the cash is leavin me now. LOL....but that's what DUBs are for...lovin em.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I am looking for a euro plate size holder for the rear of my jeeta.Has anyone seen a holder for the rear?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah look at www.parts4vws.com and then select parts screen. After you get to that you can go to body parts and you will see the part for the euro plate on jettas. There is a website connection for a company that does euro plates, they also sell the holders. Waiting for mine to arrive!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts