VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's something that I've been curious about for the longest time.... the name exchange of Dubs in Europe vs what we know of in the USA (and possibly other areas)

Is there a list depicting the history of names and/or the correlation as to why or what. For instance I've heard of Vento and Bora, possibly a few others being what here... Jetta? Which one?

Am I making sense? I'd like to see all of them for all models, at leasat Rabbits and Golfs and Jettas. Is the Fox an early Jetta? Oh so many questions... whose the 'Dub history guy?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I know Bora = Jetta in the US, but I think golf is the same on both continents. I think Foxes were a lot like the 2 door Jetta but with a hatchback so they looked like mini station wagons. I am sure somebody will chime in and straighten it all out...

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
As far as name origin of the Golf, Jetta, Vento, Gol, etc... I have no idea, can't find any infromation on it. Other than the Golf is named after a wind (which a few were actually: Vento is "wind" in Italian, and Scirocco is "desert wind"); Toureg is a nomadic tribe or something, and I believe Jetta is a African deer!?!?

Anyway, yes the Bora/Vento is the equivalent to the U.S. Jetta. The Fox is not an early Jetta, the Fox is all it's own, developed/produced in Brazil. Rabbit's are just Golf's in Europe, and the Polo was originaly a Audi 100. There are also many Brazilian models that we never got here, such as the Gol, Saverio, and Parati. Along with some other misc. South American models like the Amazon, and Gacel.

There might be a list explaining this all somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.

"Phaeton" is a total misnomer. According to Webster's Dictionary, a phaeton is either 1. any of various light four-wheeled horse-drawn vehicles, or 2. a touring car. Also according to Webster, a touring car is: an automobile suitable for distance driving: as a) a vintage automobile with two cross seats, usually four doors, and a folding top, or b) a modern usually 2-door sedan as distinguished from a sports car. I think VW thought the name Phaeton just sounded cool.

Originally the old Air Cooled cars just had Type numbers. The names of them came from the consumers as nick names. Eventually they stuck. I think the first car from them taht had a name released by VW was the Ghia. Also around the same time the Kubel Wagen and Wasser Wagen but those werent really names to them at the time but more descripions of their function.

The Transporter was named the Transporter from the very beginning of production in 1950.

Passat means "trade wind", and Corrado is a rough spanish translation for "quick".

I have a few VW history books in my little library here, but have to look through them to get more information, I will post more as I find it.

[ December 04, 2003: Message edited by: Josh Fryauff ]

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
You're just full of good stuff Josh. What history books do you have, I have been looking for some good VW books.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
You're just full of good stuff Josh. What history books do you have, I have been looking for some good VW books.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Volswagens of the World" by Simon Glen
"You and Your Volkswagen Golf GTI" by Andy Butler
"Vintage Volkswagens" by Chronicle Books
"Small Wonder" & "My Bug" by Michael J. Rosen

Just to name a few, there are so many good books about VW's out there.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I thought the Kharman Ghia was named after Kharman Ghia, the italian company that sculpted the bodywork for the car (as well as a few ferrari's and such)

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Josh Fryauff:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

this sounds interesting! what is this book about? how recent is it?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
thats some freaking cool stuffs. i love learning more about dubs

·
Registered
423 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Josh Fryauff:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, I have the same one What an awesome book. Great info through out the whole book.

Was like $25.00US when I bought mine. But the book still kicks ass. So I didn't car how much it was

·
Registered
267 Posts
bora also happens to be an mkII jetta

i was always under the impression that corrado was derived from correr--to run

[ January 12, 2004: Message edited by: obsessedubber ]

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just to be politically correct, it is not the U.S. Jetta (not to be anal), I think I would say North American. Because in Canada we have the Jetta as well. Most car labels on this continent are pretty much the same.

In Europe, they supply more models, check it out...http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/new_cars/lupo

[ January 01, 2004: Message edited by: TdiHottie ]

[ January 01, 2004: Message edited by: TdiHottie ]

·
Registered
73 Posts
correr is direct trans. for to run (infinitive) but when you translate, certain words, expressions, and meanings change slightly.

the closest i can think for Corrado, would be the way the word Corrando (running) is pronounced in parts of spain and italy which lacks the 'n' sound and it is pronounced more like Corrathdo. Since Germans, Americas, etc. lack that accent, it may be said as Corrado.

i'm not good at explaining, i hope that came out ok...

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Pheaton was also a Mythological Hero the son of Appollo who rode the "SUN CHARIOT":

"...Apollo grants him anything he wishes, and Phaeton asks to ride the sun chariot. He loses control and Zeus is forced to kill him with a thunderbolt to save the earth from burning and freezing. The hero does not always win."

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
Pheaton was also a Mythological Hero the son of Appollo who rode the "SUN CHARIOT":

"...Apollo grants him anything he wishes, and Phaeton asks to ride the sun chariot. He loses control and Zeus is forced to kill him with a thunderbolt to save the earth from burning and freezing. The hero does not always win."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

so what is vw trying to say with the name Phaeton...that you will lose control and get struck by lightning? hmmm
well, I know in europe, they did not have the vw Fox. In a recent issue of PVW they mentioned that one of the cult society mk2 golfs had Fox headlights. they explained that the Fox was a north american ugly version of a mk2 2-door jetta. pretty funny, as I think foxes are pretty ugly

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverGTI:
so what is vw trying to say with the name Phaeton...that you will lose control and get struck by lightning? hmmm
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL... no maybe they just thought it was Mythological Hero who rode the Sun Chariot, but didn't research it enough to know that he actually died.

Besides, I didn't say VW chose that name based on that, just wanted to add to the Pheaton definition someone started in previous posts, Brian.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
LOL... no maybe they just thought it was Mythological Hero who rode the Sun Chariot, but didn't research it enough to know that he actually died.

Besides, I didn't say VW chose that name based on that, just wanted to add to the Pheaton definition someone started in previous posts, Brian.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know I was just joking Thomas!! thought that was a funny fact! I would like to get some books on vw history too. or maybe I will check some out at the Josh Fryauff Library of Volkswagen...or my local library.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Pheaton was also a Mythological Hero the son of Appollo who rode the "SUN CHARIOT"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good info, kinda goes along with the whole "various light four-wheeled horse-drawn vehicle" description from Webster's.

MkII Jetta was Bora? Interesting, never heard that before.
I believe the MkI Jetta was just the Jetta, could be wrong. They also never had a Rabbit in Europe, it was simply the Golf I, which I am sure many of you already knew.

·
Registered
267 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 79_rabbit:
if a mk2 jetta= bora
mk3=vento
mk4=bora
it maybe a dumb ? but what is a mk 1 jetta anyone know
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

heard it was also a bora... but that's just my brother talkin, so i'm not 100% positive

1 - 20 of 24 Posts