VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kinda exhaust do you guys think is good for a gti 1.8t? any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,465 Posts
remus! sounds great and puts down some good numbers.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,219 Posts
Borrowed from the tex:
Exhausts- Exhausts are much debated on the tex, the age old debate is 3" vs 2.5". Again I'll be objective so I'll keep my opinion to myself. There are only a few companies with 3" turbo back exhuasts out right now. Forced Motion is one, Matrix is the other, and ATP also has one out. Now most of the tuners are recomending a 2.5" turbo back with the stock turbo, hence APR, TTtuning, Brullen, Eurosport, and Miltex are all producing 2.5" systems. With certain chips and 3" exhausts over spooling can occur and that can lead to turbo damage. Neuspeed also offer's a turbo back exhaust but it couples a mandrel bent 2.25"DP coupled to your stock cat and that then would attach to their 2.5" cat back exhaust. Both the downpipe and cat-back are made of stainless steel. For more info check out http://www.goapr.com http://www.tttuning.com http://www.eurosprtacc.com http://www.forced-motion.com http://www.vwturbo.com http://www.stratmosphere.com http://www.neuspeed.com


Do the research.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,124 Posts
APR is top of the line! www.goapr.com Some neuspeed systems begin to resonate like magnaflow do when they get older. No one ever went wrong with TT also.
Top 3
APR
Remus or Brullen
TT
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
APR is top of the line!...
...Top 3
APR
Remus or Brullen
TT
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will disagree with your "top of the line" comment but I won't get into. My advice is to do your own research and find out what is best for what you are planning to do with your car.

You have two, maybe three components of exhaust depending on which direction you follow. You have a down-pipe (dp) and a catback (which includes the muffler in most instances). The popular setups range in 2.5 to 3 inches. Decide on what you are trying to achieve with your upgrade. Is it tone? Is it performance or is it a little of both.

I can't say it enough... do your research and don't take one person's word as bible. Specially me.


That being said, setups i think are quality are: A full Milltek setup (quiet and performance); APR dp with a Milltek catback (a little friendlier on the wallet); GHL 3" setup(balls out performance and tone).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,718 Posts
like raf said, research, research, research. then listen to sound clips (if you can't hear it in person) of the different exhausts. if you can, take a ride/drive in someones car with different exhausts. that way, you know what it will sound like in your car when you drive. you have to live with the sound/tone of the exhaust after you get it on. hope this helps. best. let us know what you go with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverGTI:
like raf said, research, research, research. then listen to sound clips (if you can't hear it in person) of the different exhausts. if you can, take a ride/drive in someones car with different exhausts. that way, you know what it will sound like in your car when you drive. you have to live with the sound/tone of the exhaust after you get it on. hope this helps. best. let us know what you go with.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hear what you are saying man - I just wish more people lived up around here but most of you guys seem to be from PA or the west coast...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
I will disagree with your "top of the line" comment but I won't get into. I can't say it enough... do your research and don't take one person's word as bible. Specially me.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


Im def no god either!
But i would like to know what about APR is bad, I'm about to place an order for one soon but if there is something wrong that i overlooked I'd like to know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
I know that Neuspeed has mad a great system for the 1.8t and it sounds great they also have a down pipe too>>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i need one that gives great hp/torque gains, and sounds nice.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:

Im def no god either!
But i would like to know what about APR is bad, I'm about to place an order for one soon but if there is something wrong that i overlooked I'd like to know.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not saying APR is bad. Alls I'm saying is that there are a considerable amount of people throwing CEL's with the APR downpipe.
I went with a full Milltek setup in part due to their reputation for not throwing codes. I know Milltek is pricier then the others but you get what you pay for.

I don't even know if you are doing a turbo back or cat back so this whole thing may not even be an issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
I'm not saying APR is bad. Alls I'm saying is that there are a considerable amount of people throwing CEL's with the APR downpipe.
I went with a full Milltek setup in part due to their reputation for not throwing codes. I know Milltek is pricier then the others but you get what you pay for.

I don't even know if you are doing a turbo back or cat back so this whole thing may not even be an issue.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll be doing turbo back since my cat is bolted to the turbo and is way restrictiv. I'll research into it more, milltek isn't much more at all, mabye ill think twice. TY raf.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top