VW Forum banner

Faster after 1700 miles??

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Marcus C 
#1 ·
Today I picked up my new 20 AE GTI, and I'll be damned if it doesn't seem a lot slower then when I test drove it. I test drove it about a week ago and I totally remember saying to myself "Holy crap, this little car is fast! But now, for example, when I'm 2nd or 3rd gear at about 4000 RPM and I punch it, I feel no kick at all, in fact it even seems like it hits neutral for a second, almost as if I tap the brakes or something, and then it slowly picks up speed. I remember this car being really fast. I took my car over to the tint place to have it tinted and there was another guy there who had an 03 GTI 1.8t and he said his car got faster after 1700 miles. Am I crazy? Or is there something wrong?

#2 ·
there might be something wrong...

i got a 20th and it has about 27XX miles on it and it is much faster that my last 1.8t.

maybe its because of hot, humid weather...but theres prolly something wrong with it. just take it in and have them look at it, any service will be free.

good luck man...btw, what color?

#5 ·
The weather has a big role on how your car performs. When it's cold out, the car will feel faster. That's because the cold air is more Dense the hot air. And when it's Humid it's even worse. That's why on Turbo cars they put intercoolers on them. To try to cool the air entering the engine.

It was really hot and humid today in CT and I was thinking the same thing on my way home from work tonight. VR wasn't performing like it should. So damn hot and humid.

Also after you get some miles on the car, you will notice a differance in power. The Engine usually requires a break in time.
and you gas mileage will improve also.
New engines have a lot of friction, and everything is still tight. The usual miles that Ford taught me is about 3000-5000 miles. Even after that you will notice your fuel mileage might go up some more.

Hope this helps

#7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by my5thVW:
when I'm 2nd or 3rd gear at about 4000 RPM and I punch it<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you really shouldnt be punching it yet.. wait for the break in period!

#10 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by my5thVW:
Thanks all for the input. One other question, do I need to wait until the car has 1000 miles before I put in the Revo program? ANd why would you recommmend Revo over APR?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

To answer your question, NO. You don't have to but its not a good idea to rev your engine over 3,500 or so (depending who you ask) during your break in period. Trust me, you are guaranteed to go over that rpm limit when you get chipped!

I have the APR direct port thing and I am very happy with it.

#11 ·
IMO i would still say APR. Revo is still a newer company and i'm still going to wait for the to prove themselves. From what i understand, there are actually some former APR guys that work at REVO and APR is sueing REVO for there direct port system. But the people that have it seem to like it alot. I would like to see a side by side comparision for both.
jon

#12 ·
I have about 100 miles on the car so far and I have gone over 3500 rpm several times. I haven't gone over 5500 yet. Do you think I could have done any damage by going over 3500 a few times and is it really VERY important to stay under 3500 for the first 1000 miles?

#13 ·
My service guys never told me to stay under 3500 miles, what they told me was drive it like you will every day. He said this because the engine will break in to your driving style and if there was a faulty part, it will break sooner which means you'll still be under warrenty instead of babying it and using up your milage.
jon

#17 ·
when we got the trans-am, i only got on it like once every 3 days, i beat another 30th aniv WS-6 on spring break before it was modd'd out, so no and yes, do get into high rpm's occasionally, DO NOT redline, but dont go around driving like a madman, i think once evey 3 days is acceptable kinda like getting your fix....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.