VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
seema as if the flywheel is touching the inside of the tranny casing thats why it isnt crankin so what do i do now and what you guys think the problem is...

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by A2jetta:
seema as if the flywheel is touching the inside of the tranny casing thats why it isnt crankin so what do i do now and what you guys think the problem is...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So you're putting a 4 speed in a MK2? Why?

The starter ring gear size on all the flywheels was the same... so I really don't know why it would hit. Unless you have the flywheel off the dowels on the pressure plate. If it's off then it will stick out farther.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im puttin a 4speed cause more torgue and longer gears and who needs 5th gear i sure dont use it.thats what i thought that it was off the dowels but i dont know im rippin it out this weekend so i wil know then....

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
as i said in your other post it shouldn't hit anywhere. Unless like Aaron said it's not installed right. Are you sure the motor isn't seized up or somthing. aren't you doing a swap. Did it run before you put it in your car?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by A2jetta:
im puttin a 4speed cause more torgue and longer gears and who needs 5th gear i sure dont use it.thats what i thought that it was off the dowels but i dont know im rippin it out this weekend so i wil know then....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

More torque and longer gears don't really go together.

For the most part (negating specific codes)the ratios of the 4-speed match those of the 5 speed exactly. 1st is always the same, second in a 4speed is either the same as a wide ratio 5speed... or worse.

True, the ratios are wider, which just makes the RPM drop further out of the power band durring each shift, and only makes your car SLOWER.

4th gear in a 4speed is generally the same as the 5th gear in a 5speed (depending on the tranny code). The only advantage to the 4 speed is the weight reduction, which only comes in handy in all out racing.

Generally racing 4 speeds either see a 5speed 1-4 set for drag racing, or 3rd and 4th gear removed for oval racing.

And how did you mount this thing anyway... since it lacks the proper mounting bosses for a MK2, and the proper shift linkages.

And you must not see any driving over about 45mph... because I know I use 5th gear all the time, in both my diesel rabbit pickup, and my 8000rpm 16v Rabbit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts