VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which is better for performance gains, a K&N drop in panel arif filter or an actual CAI like a carbonio intake? I've been told that they are about the same, but I don't think thats true...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by db:
CAI adds like 7 HP
K&N open air will give 3-4 HP
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

both of which are not very noticable...its all in the mind

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by big dub:
both of which are not very noticable...its all in the mind<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct but you have to have one. Why? Because everyone else has one.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by db:
Correct but you have to have one. Why? Because everyone else has one.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol.. that and the nice sound CAIs make
especially with an exhaust

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
hahaha, true that!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
depends. they are very sensitive to cold air (like below 40-45) i've set of two CEL with mine.
jon

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
You have to remember that an intake may only give you a few horsepower when it's the onlyu airflow mod you've done, but if and when you do more airflow/exhaust mods, the intake is key. Here's my analogy for why: Let's say you have some 3" pipe with water running through it. There's one small piece of pipe that needed to be replaced, and you were out of 3" so you used 2". Only 2" worth of water will get through that pipe that is mostly 3".

You understand? If you have a filter that not as much air will get through, it will clog up the whole airflow system.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
i have the K&N. i like it, not much noticeable but i think its there haha. im lookin to get some kind of intake. for shows and sound and what not. i was gonna get a pflow cause they are cheap used, but i hear they suck. im not sure what im gonna do. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Guys K&N panel Filter does make a difference from stock. Take a close look at your air intake system you will see that VW designed it like a cold air intake system. There is a pipe running from the front bumper to under the panel filter. Now under that box there is also a bypass for other forced induction. That is when your turbo is working hard it will pull extra air from that location. It is actually a very nicely designed. I think that once the restricted filter is swaped for the K&N the air now flows with a lot less restriction. Someone in the forum had talked about swiss cheesing your factory box that might get more air into the box too.
But if you wanrt to save money then go with K&N or else the there are other intakes like the EVO and that will give you at lease 10-12 noticable hp thur out the rev range.
nav

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
i found a gb for the aem cai on vortex. its 178 shiped in any color for any engine from some site. all ya gotta do is go on the site and order it under group buys. when i get home ill post it up cause its under my favs.
rich

·
Registered
71 Posts
Not that i am biased or anything but i think that the evo cold air intake is better because the tube is made of formed plastic which insulates the engine heat. Hence the cold air intake actually will gain less heat. The aem one is metal and i think will have a tendency to gain, absorb and retain more heat. Just a thought.
nav

·
Registered
380 Posts
I agree with GTI152 on that. The evo seems like an awesome system. There is a thread about it on the vortex. I will find some more info about it and post.

Emir

1 - 20 of 20 Posts