VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after waiting for 2 months for the grill to clear customs my body kit is all here. Oettinger front end, caractre side skirts and ABD badgless grill, MAN am i stoked!!!

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Sounds great... what rear bumper did you get or valance?

I love the Caractere Side Skirts. Almost got them myself. I thought about for good 2 weeks before making my decision. Caractere Rear Valance is way to short though, for me at least.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheBoraDJ:
Any of you guys know how to install the front bumper??????<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look at my sig...

what do you think? Of course I do. I installed it with my brother.

You have to butcher your stock bumper. Simply cut the bumper about 3 - 3.5 inches below the corner lights valance. Then line up (2 people job by the way) to see if it fits and make sure nothing obstructs the bumper. Be smart. Don't cut the whole thing off just the area that is preventing the new bumper to flush. I left the bottom piece (you know...the rubber stuff) hanging and put 3 rivits there too, for stractural integrity.

Pre-drill the holes for the rivits on the car and new bumper. If you want to hide the rivits and cure them holes with fiberglass later on (by the way your bumper is fiberglass) you should also drill a little bit (with a bigger drill bit) a little crease so that you can later hide half the rivit's head in the front bumper and shave the rivit head a little bit so that it doesn't stick out. I let 4 of mine show for more DTM look.

You should have rivits (sp?) and polyurethane glue handy. And polyurethane glue activator (or hardener) which you apply on both the new bumper and that 3-3.5 inch strip that is left on your car. Let it sit for about 10 to 20 minutes.

Now apply polyurethane (sp?) on both pieces and put the bumper on. While you are holding the bumper in place (we had a 3rd person help us hold the bumper in place) you put rivits in. I put 3 rivits on the bottom as well (as mentioned earlier above).

Let the car sit for 30 minutes and you are ready to drive around the city, but not at highway speeds. You should not allow water on your car for about 24 - 48 hours.

If need to go further into detail let me know.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
the caractre sides are my favorite. i love them. i cant wait to see your pics!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
TF, have you had trouble with the fiberglass cracking yet, or have you had any brushes. I know I am kinda spooked by fiberglass because it tends to spider on the slightest contact, and there are way too many bubbas down here who use your bumper for a parking stop.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Oettinger front end isnt actually completely Fiberglass, its a fiberglass eurethane mix so it has more flex than a typical fiberglass kit would, which is definately a plus

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheBoraDJ:
The Oettinger front end isnt actually completely Fiberglass, its a fiberglass eurethane mix so it has more flex than a typical fiberglass kit would, which is definately a plus<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly.

I have already scratched my front drivers side (really underneath so nobody can see it) and nothing cracked or broke off.
Well after all, it is Oettinger. That's why you pay the big bucks.

Very strong bumper indeed, cuase that was a hard as rock ICE that I hit. (Who the hell lowered my car??? LOL)

You see the good'all Fiberglass myths.

This is what I think about them.

You get fiberglass and it cracks or splits?
All you do is you fix it in (literary 20 minutes) by adding more fiberglass to it, just don't use to much hardener or it will crack again and it dries to fast making it hard to work with, then you just repaint the surface.

If you had ABS Plastic (my rear bumper) once cracked, it is very hard if impossible to fix. (initial cost is higher too).

So Fiber Glass vs ABS Plastic or Poly U. really is a toss up. I have all 3 materials on my body kit.

Also you can add a custom look to the fiber glass parts too.

However, I know some people who simply hate fiber glass so I know where you coming from, Josh.

[ February 27, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I opted to have the front bumper put on professionally, this way i dont mutilate my front bumper, I am still gonna put on the grill and skirts though (big challenge there). As for all that is fiberglass; it all depends on how you treat your baby, my buddy had a skyline bumper on his ricer and has ripped the bumper apart, mostly because he drives like an idiot, but it is something to keep in mind. If you like to rally your car around town, you probably dont want a fiberglass kit, however, if you are like me and you rub her down with a wetnap every night cuz you dont want dust to collect, you will be just fine

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
What do you mean mutilate? They still have to cut your bumper PERIOD. There is no way they can fit your Oettinger front bumper on unless they cut the previous bumper.

My friend did the same, he let a shop do it for him... SURPRISE... it got cut.

Maybe you just got the Oettinger front valence? Not a full bumper?

[ March 01, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
by mutilate i mean I dont wanna fuck it up when i cut it, and I don't have the right tools for the job, so i am gonna have the pros use their shit to cut it right and make it fit perfect

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey TF, I dont suppose you know where I can get a detailed set of instructions offline or whatnot do you?

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
No I don't, sorry. But I thought my instruction I posted above where pretty detailed? (J/K
).

Sorry I didn't take pics of my mod, but I wasn't even on this Forum when that was going on.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no worries, i called my tuner and they faxed over some instructions for me. Stupid oettinger sending me spoiler instructions... in german no less.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
no worries, i called my tuner and they faxed over some instructions for me. Stupid oettinger sending me spoiler instructions... in german no less.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Zeeee German Engineeeeeeeeeeeeeering... Ja Ja.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts