VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,
i just bought my first used car in dec. a 1993 bmw 525i with 144k, turned out to be lemon, and got my $$ back, now am seriously looking at a..
1997 jetta gls
44k miles
5 spd, power all, roof, abs, alloy, etc...
about to take it to shop for review by professional vw shop [non dealer]
what should i be looking for on this car, problems, things that break at this mileage, etc...
i know the owenr has had work done under warranty, ball joints, alternator, battery, rear brakes, etc... and maint every 3k miles
what is this worth?
what should i look for ?
thanks
m
p.s. everything works, interior is clean, nice, exterior is nice, 2 small door dings...
pretty clean overall.
one owner, private seller
magic marc

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
First of all 44k is awsome mileage
Vr6 or 2.0? (I'd assume its vr)
What price is he asking?

No matter what VW it is, at 44k there should be no problems. Both engines are good for well well over 100k.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks.
i think its only a 4 cylinder engine, i think, but now that you mention it ill find out more tomorrow.
the ask price is 6600, but thats kinda high i think, even with 44k miles.
thanks
magic

·
Registered
190 Posts
yea i deffinatly have to agree with you if you are looking for speed go for the vr6 but just the sytle go with the 2.0 its great miles on the car and a damn good price dont let it pass

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone.
i brought the car to a audi / vw shop for inspection/review.
they said 'it is excellent condition'
the ask price was $8k, i was thinking of offering 6600, thus we can probably go for around 7k or so.
but a few hundred dollars here or there is not my main concern as having a car to drive is more important, and one that is reliable, and nice. i work every weekend, and have been renting all january...
thanks again, im sure ill be back ehre for more advise on performance issues, any repairrs that arise, and parts, etc..
thanks again
magic marc

the power is not the most important thing [right now] for me, as i live in nyc.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
first off welcome to the world of vw's
wow 44k miles is awesome! sounds like a good deal to me

·
Registered
745 Posts
even for a 2.0 thats still pretty good. my friend got a 98 gti vr6 for 10,000 with 48k on it. Try to steer clear of the 2.0 If u like speed and don't have alot of money get the vr6. There easier to upgrade and are much quicker stock than the 2.0 2.0=115 hp
vr6=173 hp

·
Registered
70 Posts
sounds sweet.. can't beat those miles, and you can easily get 200+hp out of the 2.0 4 cylinder that the gls model comes w/... you just need a turbo kit

1 - 8 of 8 Posts