VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving to work (at 13 mile drive which took over an hour this morning-usually 25-30min in normal conditions), I noticed a few things: 1) The rear defroster goes off after a few minutes. Is there a reason for this? Is there a way to keep in on?-my windows kept fogging up on me after it goes off. 2) I couldn't go much over 20 mph on unplowed roads without the tires slipping. Does anyone use chains? I don't have the money for snow tires, so I am looking for an alternative. 3) When I open my door, some snow gets on my leather seats. I try to get most of it off. Will a little snow (water when it melts) cause problems on my seats? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
1) The reason your rear defrost goes off automatically is to protect the thin elements in your rear window.

2) I don't use chains. 20 - 30 MPH on a road wich is unplowed is damn good as it is.
Hint: Speed is the reason of control loss, not snow or ice.

3) Snow gets on your seats as you open the doors? It happens to the best of us.

I hope you took some pics during that drive for DB's contest.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
If you I would even use my jacket sleeve just so the snow does not fall in the car.I am going to atempt to make it home tonight.The roads around here are not taken care of.Thank god I am using my old golf this winter.My jetta is to low to drive in the snow!

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
MY first drive in my jetta was awesome. 6 inches of the white stuff on the George Washington Bridge/NJ Turnpike traffic. I love ASR!!!

·
Registered
844 Posts
So yeah, everyone at work today made a big fuss about it "snowing" today, and I was like "yeah, snow pics for the forum." Well, so much for that idea, if it did snow, it was only like .0000000001".

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys for your replies. I do wipe off my entire car before I get in and warm it up, I was just wondering if a little water/snow is real bad for my seats. The roads this morning (in harrisburg, pa) were not plowed, and it was a real slow drive to work. PA drivers (especially people in 4x4s) drive like idiots in bad weather. I always use caution when it has snowed. I did take some pics today before I left for work. I wish I had my camera at work too. The gti looked real nice covered in 4" of fresh powder. Thanks.

[ December 05, 2002: Message edited by: silverGTI ]

·
Registered
5 Posts
I took the Jetta yesterday for some reason over the 4WD truck and about hit the limit of what a car can do in the snow. My normal hour commute took 2 hours and 45 minutes (took an hour to go the last 5 miles due to traffic). My rear defogger kept shutting off also but I figured it was hitting a thermal setting to keep it from frying itself.

I'd have to say that the car did pretty well. I didnt think I was gonna make it up a few hills - barely moving forwards with the traction control grunting and groaning like crazy. Used the auto-stick which isnt quite as good a a true manual (I miss my AWD 5-speeed Talon!) but helped.

We've got about 7 or so inches of snow.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The best thing I did to my car for the snow months was to put on a set of snow tires!! Blizzacks are good, but any major brand snow tire will greatly improve the performance of your dub in the white stuff. I just have some tires on crappy steel rims, and put them on all four corners!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts