VW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just switched out my O2 sensor, cat, plugs, wires the other day and I notice now that my oil light will come on after maybe 15 mins of driving. If i keep the rpms up, it will sometimes go away, but is there at idle. Im hoping this isn't the oil pump, but should i just get a new sensor/switch. It's about 500mi. away from needing an oil change and the oil does feel a bit thin. As another question, I have no owners manual so what should I use for this time of year in ny with 120k on the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I would replace the oil pump and the oil pressure sending unit.By the way what oil do you use?

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
If you can get 15w40 or 20w50,but just for the warmer months.Make sure you use a oil filter with a pressure valve in it too.I have been using a k + n filter.

·
Registered
37 Posts
well not to scare ya...but my car was doin the exact same thing before the engine blew so fix that right away

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NOt to scare me? I just bought this thing, consider me scared. Rather tyan futz with it, im just gonna bring it to the shop (which i hate to do)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Its probably the oil sending unit. (Pressure switch). I now on my old 2.0L Their were 2 units. One for high rpms and the other one was for low rpms. Change the pressure unit and change your oil at the same time.

Also like "m of team sand s" said, Try to use a heavier oil.

Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, looks like my luck has turned to crap. Replaced the oil pump, did other work i needed (master cylender, oil pan, heavier oil) And after I get all this is place and drive for about one hour, the damn light comes back on, so to make a long story short, i went to drop the oil pan again and i see brass shavings in my oil, well, looks like a 2400 dollar car has turned into a 3800 dollar mistake.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I blew my engine and got a engine with 65,000 miles for 400 dollars. There are plenty of engines out there. I swapped mine out i about a week of working on it a couple ours a night. But if you take it to a shop it'll probably cost more money. But i used it as an excuse to upgrade alot of things. You could buil your motor,2.0 bottom end p&p head. It'll run better ythan ever. I was told by somone who worked on vws for a long time to run 20w50. I use castrol and use marvel mystery oil as an aditive.Good luck and i hope everything works out for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
if its not sorted yet u mite have a really sloggd up gauze on oil system, it might be worth cleaning it

·
Registered
13 Posts
your problem is either the oil pressure sender on thetop of the oil filter base or theone on the side of the head. on some years especially the early years 85 and 86 the sensor on the back of the speedo sensor. it says it in the bently manual.i have also done a few of these. vws rarely everkill an oil pump. as for oil i would never use castrol. i use a good oil like valvoline , quaker state or a good penn state made oil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts