VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a couple of days ago i was driving my car and it was raining a lil before i left well any way b/c of that the snow was starting to melt alot and this one road was flooded, but little did i know that because it was pretty foggy. once i hit the water i almost stopped and was about to put it into reverse and i look in my rear view mirror and see this jeep
coming right at me. so i just kept on going. big mistake but if i didnt' i think the guy would of hit me. so i get out of the water which was about a foot and a half deep my car is dieing on me so i pull over and it stalls. get out of my car and start to yell at the a**hole
and got back in my car and tried to start it no luck. called rich up and he helped me push it to the side more (thanks for the help man). went back the next day and tried to start it didn't, the next day didn't, and today my parents picked it up while i was at school. well it drives like sh*t, feels like it is misfiring or something the check engine light is on too. my g/f dad is mechanic and he is going to help me change the plugs tonight. if that doesn't work i don't know what it is. and i just hope that the MAF didn't get screwed up as well. sorry i was rambling but i had to vent

o yeah like 3 other cars got stuck in the damn thing and had to get towed, the road was closed like 30 mins after i went through it.

[ February 24, 2003: Message edited by: k2jetta98 ]

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
That freakkin' blows, Zach.

I don't think your MAF is touched. Doesn't it sit too high for the water to reach?

Test your HORN. IF it sounds like 1920's then you might just wait another week or so and the car should run fine.

I wouldn't look after it so soon. Just park the car somewhere warm... over night and go to it every 3 hours or so and run it for 10 minutes.

It takes time to get rid of the water.

I did post my story so I don't want to be the "repeatin' shit" as the tow-booth Willy would say.

Hope your car heals soon.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice thomas,
thats what i did, i let it sit for a couple of days and it did finaly start. but like i said it drives like sh*t. i guess if i let it sit for a little it will be ok, but since my g/f's dad can't come over tonight, tomorrow night he will look at it. but the check engine light is on and my car was misfiring before bacause of a broken sparkplug wire, and it kinda feels like that, but also my intake got wet before and sucked a little water in before (but nothing like this) and was kinda doing the same thing. but about the MAF the water came up real high under the hood because when i pulled over and popped the hood my intake was soaked, i took it off so it would start the other day, so i know that i sucked water into the engine. so the MAF could be messed up. i just hope not and it is that the spark plugs got wet or something like that, and i checked the distributor cap and everything and it was dry.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I lucked out huge. Just hoping the same for ya.

PS: We got hit by a bit what was left from your Winter Blizzard yesterday. I hate SNOW. About 10 Inches of snow fell overnight.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well hopefully i will luck out like you.

yeah i know what you mean, all the snow we just got and it started to go away and they forcasted more for thursday night about 6 in. I AM SICK OF SNOW

·
Registered
174 Posts
When I first started driving I blew an engine b/c of water getting into it (never try to kick start a wet engine). The point is after that, water got into everything, ball joint went, alternator went plus a bunch of electronics and some other stuff. Those things can get wet but if you submerge them it's a different story. Make sure you get a good lube done and make sure your oil, trans fluid, etc. is ok. Good Luck.

By the way, my the new engine was covered under the comprehensive part of my insurance policy, hopefully you won't need that.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hey Jimmy C did your car start at all after that happened to you because i got mine started and it was drove home remember, cause you are scaring me with what you said man.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Didn't mean to scare you, if it started I don't think you blew your motor. My engine blew because I tried to push start the car. I ended up bending a rod and I sent one through the oil pan. By no means am I an expert on this, but I would change your oil and filter, make sure the air intake and filter are dry and may even check/change the trans fluid. Water in the motor is a BAAAD thing. Also, do VW's have sealed joints in the chasis? My Acura did, but water got in there too and that why the ball joint eventually went. If you can lube up the chasis, do it!!

Don't forget to check the exhaust too, you should just be able to blow the water out of there once you get her running again.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I just hope it does not get cold and your car freezes on top of your car being flooded.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
any new news zach. im glad i was there to help man. anytime, tell me if you need anythign else.
rich

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Yea, when I had my Dakota, I went through a slush puddle, and the throttle cable got stuck at highway speed (basically full open) It sucked, I was only 17 and stupad as hell, and so I drove home on the ice in my damn 2wd pickup having to shift in and out of first at redline. Im just lucky the damn thing didn't blow up on me.

Water = demons

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
oh man, i too am suprised it didnt blow, jeeeez!

HUGE EFFIN PUDDLES!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
alright i have let my car sit for like a week a a lil more. i just started it and took it for a lil' drive. well it drives like shit still, when i give it a little gas to speed up it like starts to put out or something like it jumps. and then when i kinda rev it a little hard it puts then too. so i dont' know what it is, i thought that maybe it is the sparkplugs or something, or then possibly the MAF is a little screwed like the air to fuel mixture isn't right and that is making it do it.

if you guys have any suggestions about what it could let me know.

·
Registered
75 Posts
have your coil packs checked, if you get em wet and run the car youll get all kinds of shorts which will damage the coil pack and IMO will damage all the other coil packs as well..they may not die right away but im pretty sure they will die...(im testing this theory right now, i blew one coil pack a few weeks ago just waiting on the others now..)

rev the engine up a little and smell your exhaust...if it smells really bad, prolly your coil packs

p.s. if it IS your coil packs and your under warranty, dont tell your dealer about your mishap and see if they will replace em all under the recall!!

just a thought

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
dont have any ideas but i just wanted to say that i hope she gets better. best of luck

·
Registered
174 Posts
Did you check the air intake? If that is still wet (mine was after a week) then water could still be getting in there and screwing eveything up.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what exactaly is a coil pack? and yes i dried my intake out totaly so that is not the problem what so ever.

·
Registered
92 Posts
so so sorry about yopuor dub try dumping a coupla bottles of dry gas in the tank might of got some water in there check out the filler tube my brother splashed a few puddles in his new used cabbie had the same headache you are come to find out the neck where it attaches to the body was rusted out he would never have known if it wasnt for the big monsoon puddle good luck hope she gets better

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i got sick of waiting to see if my car would dry out on its own so i took it to the mechanics right down the street. not alot of water got into the engine to do alot of damage like bend a rod or anything like that but there was a little. also i told them to change the transmission fluid, and when they did they said that it was a little milky because water got into there as well. they alsoe just gave it servicing as well. the total came to $212. it could of been alot worse, like if the MAF went which im really happy that it didn't. all in all my car is better again and im happy about that

1 - 20 of 25 Posts