VW Forum banner

Fog light wiring

20K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Shameless 
#1 ·
Apparently I'm not so great at this wiring shit.

Anyway, I bought the ECS wiring kit for the oem housing foglights. It's all hooked up into lights with a relay and a fuse between the relay and battery on the positive side.
It is plugged into number 8 on the euro switch, here.

I have grill fogs now and started wiring them to run both grille and headlight fogs. Ran the wires to the grille fogs, each lamp has a positive and negative wire. Ran the pos and negative to the battery. The relay has a fuse built into it.

Now the relay has two wires. They would go to a switch.
I plugged one of the wires into the switch and checked to see if I could get the fogs to turn on. I plugged it into number 9 on the euro switch, for the rear fog lights. I assume that's the easiest/practical place to put them

After trying both wires I looked at all the lights and my housing fogs stopped working. I unplugged the wire from the switch and the housing fogs still didn't work. Checked all my fuses in the relays and the panel and they're all good.
Scratching my head over this.
Looked at the battery, terminals and wires to them look solid.
Switch is working all other lights are working.

I'll take a better look at the terminals in the morning. But I'm confused what I could have triggered to make the fogs not light up.
I doubt the bulbs shorted out if the fuses are all still good.

Any ideas?
Maybe both wires from the relay need to be used? Not sure where though. I figured you just run one wire that gives the relay a current and bam it fires up.

I sourced my information from these links.
Foglight wiring: OEM-style - TDIClub Forums
http://bd8ba3c866c8cbc330ab-7b26c6f...KIVFoglightHarnessJamesRevisions2-10-2012.pdf
http://rs4-380.tripod.com/install.html

See less See more
#2 ·
When I did my fog in the grille, I had one wire going to #8 on the euro switch from relay, one going to a ground from relay, and 2 for the fogs from relay. It should be the exact same for #9, you'd just have to put the euro switch to at least the middle setting, then put it out towards you 2 settings.

#3 ·
Yeah that's how I did it. I'll have to grab pictures of the relay up close so we can figure out what wire goes where. I'm sure its an easy fix.

I just hope I didn't blow some relay that I don't know about, or the switch or some odd wire somewhere.
But I figure fuses would have gone first!

#4 ·
Hey, I think it has to do with those 3 extra wires on the Hella harness we talked about. Those go to a basic flip switch, I have it here cause I switched boxes right before I shipped it and it didnt make it.

all you need to do is make a connection to mimic the switch being in the "on" position. Or I can send you the switch or you can pick one up for a few bucks at radio shack.

Sorry for the trouble, I just gave you the relay harness that came with the lights :-/

#6 ·
If its "on" it will power whatever is connected to that circuit. If you have the hella relay plugged into the pin for rear fogs, then the regular fogs will go on 1st, then the 2nd pull of the switch will give you bumper fogs.

Better yet, I would use the hella relay switch to power the OEM headlight fogs and bring the switch in the cab then you can use the OEM Relay (built into the car) to power the bumper fogs (just extend the wires from the wiring harness/headlamp plug).

This way you can have separate control of each set of fogs. Pull the switch all the way back (rearfog) and both sets will get power. Then you can choose to turn the upper fogs off with the Extra switch in the car and keep the lowers on. Or Just keep the switch on and use the headlight switch as normal

Hope that makes sense...:K:

#7 ·
Right now its plugged in for the rear fogs.

But there's two wires so Im not sure which one would go where.
I figure I could just as easily swap the pins of the fogs so the lower ones come on first. Rather than relocating all the relays.

#8 · (Edited)
Haha, there I go trying to over complicate everything! :rolleyes: Yes, swapping pins would be MUCH easier! :K:

EDIT: Just read thru the booklet again. I got ANSWERS! woohoo! haha

So the Yellow wire (of the 3 switch wires) you connect to the Fog/RearFog pins on the headlight switch:cool: )the gray and brown wires/females spades are not needed.)

This will control the relay instead of a flipswitch :K:

#14 ·
The kit is ridiculously easy to install. Pretty much plug the sucker in, hit the terminal and boom done.

The lower grill fog one should be just as easy but that manual switch deal is kicking my ass.
Kay the yellow goes to the #8/9 pin. Then the red/brown wire. Where does that go. Do I just leave it or cut it and tape over it?

Also... probably related. After all this messing with my wires and stuff, my switch is hot to the touch(when pulled out, the sides)
Anddd the passenger side mirror is automatically tilting away from me. The motor is always active until the car is shut off for about 10 seconds.
I didn't even know I had this option! Which is cool, but then it's acting up. I could just pull the motor out but any idea where that wire is so I don't have electricity running around all crazy-like.

#15 ·
if you have heated power leathers than you also have the automatic Curb Finder option.

This is where you set your mirror to see your back wheel/tire in reverse, so whenever you go into reverse it goes to that setting, and back to normal once you put it in drive. I dont remember if I read that or figured it out randomly but I figure Idd throw it out there.

FYI those 3 wires are Brown, gray, and yellow. Make sure you get the right one in ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.