VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here is the set of 17" bbs rs i just refinished for a customer.

17x9 et17 2" lip
17x10 et25 2.5" lip

before:

AFTER:

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
they look great! what do you do as far as sealing them? do you assemble and then seal or put some silicon in the seam as you assemble it? ive heard some people prefer one way and others prefer another

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ever use Jasco paint stripper to remove the clear powder coat? did that once on a set of Honda r type 2 piece wheels like those bbs's you just finished so well. took about 15 min of soak time and wiped off clean. then I just had the polishing to deal with. Nice work btw.

·
Premium Member
9,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they look great! what do you do as far as sealing them? do you assemble and then seal or put some silicon in the seam as you assemble it? ive heard some people prefer one way and others prefer another
i always seal the same way. i clean all the powder off the mating surfaces of the barrel / faces and scotch pad the lip mating surface lightly. i then bolt together dry. and torque dry. and i run two small beads between the face and barrel and the second between lip and face. i smooth with my finger. i let sit 24 hours. then run a thick bead down the center of the face and fan out over the other two seals i just did the day before. i then let sit for 24 hours. i then re check torque of nuts. and then mount tires :) im yet to have one leak.

Ever use Jasco paint stripper to remove the clear powder coat? did that once on a set of Honda r type 2 piece wheels like those bbs's you just finished so well. took about 15 min of soak time and wiped off clean. then I just had the polishing to deal with. Nice work btw.
i used b17. its permitted air craft stripper. these however were spray painted. even easier. we just media blasted and powdered. only thing left from the original pics was the faces, hexes, waffles, and one pair of barrels. i sold the rest.
and thank you!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
my wheels mount lip,barrel,face so only the lip and barrel have a seam that needs sealed. i had a big problem with them leaking, still unsure why, took them to my buddy local that refinishes wheels to have him reseal the 2 and he was cleaning it all off and found no problem areas that he would suspect to be leaking and even said the silicone was a mother effer to get all cleaned off cause it adhered really well. next set i do i am tempted to use windshield urethane

1 - 7 of 7 Posts