VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, after i tried downloading iMesh (file sharing program/Napster spinoff) and it also loaded Gain a pop-up window program but also loaded a pop-up killer. I was having problems with iMesh so i deleted it along with all of the other programs that where loaded onto my computer. Since i deleted them all, i think my cookies are messed up. Everytime i come onto VWF, it shows what new post there are, but it also shows older ones that i have already looked at as being new. I've deleted all of my cookies, cleared out the history and cleared the history but it didn't fix it. Is there anything i'm missing?? should i just deleted Internet explorer and reload it??
jon

·
Registered
48 Posts
That program is notorious for doing mysterious things like that. I would check for files on your computer that were downloaded around the same time you got that Imesh. Also if you want a good music program get yourself Morpheus, I think it'll be at MusicCity.com.

[ October 29, 2002: Message edited by: seven_deuce72 ]

·
Registered
111 Posts
Finally a question that I can answer the best.
First of all, if you didn't delete the program from the Add/Remove control panel, you are going to have all types of wierd things that are still associated with it hanging around. So what you need to do is get a program called Ad-Aware. You can get it from the company called Lavasoft! This will help go through and clear out all of your cookies and any programs that are thought to be possible trojan horses or are just major security risks(like Gator, iMesh, and certain versions of Kazaa.) Second, I would suggest you download the lite version of Kazaa! It uses the same network as Morpheus, but this one is a hacked version of the most current version of Kazaa so that it doesn't have the backdoors built into it and it doesn't have any of the banners as well(it is some what long and complicated, but if you want to know what I am talking with the Kazaa deal, just ask.) I can almost guarantee you that if you run Ad-Aware, you will find tons of files that are possible security risks that you never knew you had. A lot of them are cookies, which can cause problems, but many are files that are left behind in the Registry of windows that aren't cleaned out, even when you run the uninstaller. I hate websites that use javascripts and cookies to download their free software that has backdoors built into them.

Synthogen

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Yea, Ad-aware is a good deal. Personally, I use WinMX for music, I just found it and it weems to work pretty well. I have a friend that works for Data Recovery, and he is currently disecting a musiccity server for a legal case, so you can kiss morpheus goodby soon, and probably kazaa as well, since they are so similar. The reason it shows all the posts as unread is because you deleted the cookie. There is a cookie from this site that keeps track of what posts you have looked at, and when you delete your cookies, it deletes that record as well. There is also a program called system mechanic that is wonderfull for getting rid of crap on your computer, it also has a duplicate file search and some other tools in it. I would reccomend it to everyone.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
The reason it shows all the posts as unread is because you deleted the cookie. There is a cookie from this site that keeps track of what posts you have looked at, and when you delete your cookies, it deletes that record as well
Well even after i look at it. and i check VWF later that night. it still says its a new topic.

jon

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well after deleted alot of files with that ad-aware program, and it still not fixing the problem. i just reloaded internet explorer and that seems like it fixed it. Thanks for everyone's help. I think that Program helped out alot. I didn't relize how much crap was really loaded onto my computer.
thanks
jon

·
Registered
111 Posts
I just would like to suggest to everyone that has Kazaa to get the Lite version. I know that I personally would rather not have spy-ware on my computer, but to each his own I guess. That is why the Lite version of many of these P2P programs is better, simply because it doesn't allow the person who created it to easily access your computer. So Kaza Lite is the way to go if you are using Kazaa. Secondly, I don't think that Kazaa will go down simply because Morpheus does. They access the same networks, but it sounds to me like the legal battle is with MusicCity, which is Morpheus itself and not the servers it connects to. In fact Kazaa and Morpheus are not even in control of these said servers/network. So Kazaa won't be going under for a while. As for WinMX, most of the servers for that have dwindled away and are almost to equivalant as just using Napster. Not many servers nor people use it, but there are still some that do.

I agree with fli gti when he says that deleting the cookie resets it, but my fathers NT machine acts the same way as GTI2001. What I think the problem was is that the cookies don't consider it based on visits, but rather on the day. So you could visit the same site 3 times in one day and it will say that it is all new, simply because it is new for that day(possibly the past 24hrs as well??) But when I use my Mac, it is set to everytime I visit the site. So I don't know what to tell you. If reinstalling did the trick, then congrats! You found one of the many work-arounds(bugs) in Windows.

Synthogen

[ October 30, 2002: Message edited by: Synthogen ]

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i thought it worked but i guess it didn't, oh well, it's just more of an incoveince than anything. Someday i'm just going to clear all the programs off of my computer and start all over cause my sister gave me this computer (it was less then a year old when she gave it to me) but she loaded a lot of programs on it that i don't even know what they are for or if they are involved with anything else. Thanks for all the help. I'm going to download Kazaa lite for the reasons you stated. My girlfriend had the IT guys from her College load it on and he put all this stuff to prevent all that spy-ware crap.
jon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts