VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving my head unit down to where the ashtray is/was. Just wondering what I should put in the hole up top. I've seen lots of people put the three round guages, but I don't really see the point of doing that in my car. I'm thinking either a standard cover or a DIN sized cupholder out of another vehicle.

Does anyone know of a vehicle that uses a DIN sized cupholder? Or even just a DIN sized cubby hole?

Did anyone else do this if so, any pictures?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Ford Taurus cup holders

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think:

Ford Taurus, Taurus SHO, Ford Thunderbird and Thunderbird SC, SAAB 9000 and 900

Gonna say early 1990's

~Emily

[ October 27, 2003: Message edited by: Automotive Performance Tuning ]

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
somone told me you can use a cubby from a mk4. It's DIN size and from what i hear fits nice. But i have gauges in mine so i can't tell you for sure

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've decided to put the stock head unit back in and do and try to make it so the ash tray cover will flip up over the cd player. Then bastard thieves won't be so keen to break into my car. I saw one car on the "other" site that had his set up like this.

One more question, the cruise control module is attached to the bottom of the ash tray. Any suggestions as to where to re-locate it?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
best thing I ever saw... my buddy made a false faceplate for his CD player.

He bought a crap tape player with knobs from a wrecking yard, took it apart, cut the front pieces off, glued them all together and all to a black piece of plastic. He was careful to make it look like the original, but to keep it thin.

He'd pop off his faceplate and shove it in his pocket, then pop on the shitty tapedeck faceplate. Never had a problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts