VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey crew, i wanted to know what your opinion on piston rods and heads are. i know billet is lighter but i also know forged is stronger. for the 1.8t that will EVENTUALLY see over 300hp, what do you recommend. thanx.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Always go for stronger parts for something as important as your engine. The minor amount of weight lost from billet parts isn't worth a rod snapping, or your crank being bent. Stronger is always better when dealing with engine internals.

·
Registered
830 Posts
szodjo said:
Always go for stronger parts for something as important as your engine. The minor amount of weight lost from billet parts isn't worth a rod snapping, or your crank being bent. Stronger is always better when dealing with engine internals.
No more true of a word has ever been spoken, trust me I know from experience :wink: . If you just looking at a shade over 300hp and being happy a built motor, although a great thing to have, is not a necessity. Billy T and Alamo Motorsports made 492whp on a all stock bottom end of a 20V. So at least they paved the way for you to determine what you want to do. The key really lies in how much time you spend on the dyno tuning the car. Make sure you have enough injector, pump and the right tools to control fueling, timing and you should be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts